Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J2ME help!!

Options
  • 15-02-2008 4:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm not a developer, but I have a little problem with a little j2me app. Its a music id program for mobile devices that was extracted from a cell phone firmware. Motrola ROKR e6 to be exact. The problem is that the program does exactly what it is designed to do, and only works on that phone. I want to install it on another phone. The jar file installs just fine, but I can't install it from the jad file which is how this particular program should be installed. I get "operation failed" when attempting to install from jad. When installing from the jar file, it does install, but when starting the program, I get "could not obtain required resources". I may be way off base here, but when looking at the jad file in text editor, there are a whole bunch of "motorola" references. Is it possible to configure the jad file to something more generic so that it installs the program on any java enabled platform.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Are you looking to onstall on a mobile other than a Motorola one?

Unfortunately, you will likely have to create different versions for different handsets, unless you are willing to spend time working on an abstraction layer that is going to make different calls to different supported developer APIs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cbebop2071

Are you looking to onstall on a mobile other than a Motorola one?

Unfortunately, you will likely have to create different versions for different handsets, unless you are willing to spend time working on an abstraction layer that is going to make different calls to different supported developer APIs.

Thanks so much for your reply Aidan. I am in fact looking to put it onto any handset. Is it at all possible you could just take a glance at it or anybody for that matter. I put the jar and jad files up on rapidshare. Maybe some of you guys are familiar with howard forums. I made to posts there regarding this and haven't gotten a single reply yet. Thanks for getting back so fast!!!

http://rapidshare.com/files/91305611/MusicID.zip.html

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

....extracted from a cell phone firmware....

seems to suggest that this is not a freely available piece of software, could its "extraction" be potentially unlawful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Wouldn't it be great to have a standard...

We've WinMob, JavaME and now Android all competing against one another...

To the OP: why don't you just write your own music file ID extractor? Seems like a load of hard work to be reverse engineering someone else's code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cbebop2071

Cantab. wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great to have a standard...

We've WinMob, JavaME and now Android all competing against one another...

To the OP: why don't you just write your own music file ID extractor? Seems like a load of hard work to be reverse engineering someone else's code.

You guys are very helpful, thanks so much for you responses. You have to keep in mind I'm a total noob, and the way I look at it is that this program is just looking for some handset identifier that could be modified or removed. The program is part of the open source linux firmware of the moto EZX lineup of phones. So I don't think it is illegal. Its cool though, I'll probably just drop it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement