Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital services in carlow

Options
  • 15-02-2008 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

What do you think? Carlow is getting bigger:D but the facilities here are poor:eek:. Would you rather go to Kilkenny and get a bed, Waterford and maybe get a bed or Dublin and probably/definitely get stuck on a trolley:confused:. I don't know the answer what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I'd rather be kept alive lol :P

But seriously good thread topic mate. Carlow is expanding so quickly we really do need to have a proper hospital there! Travelling back and forth to Kilkenny just aint gonna cut it anymore. It's time we had our own proper regional hosptal here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carlowmedic

so put a hospital in carlow? Gov policy backed by opposition is to reduce hospital numbers by half so probable non starter. I think we need a bigger better hospital nearer carlow to replace kilkenny. That hospital was built 60 years ago! Build one on the carlow side of kilkenny. On new roads only 20 minutes from carlow. What do you think?

I agree with the idea of giving carlow a hospital all right. The location would be a great topic of interest i would say. Discussing it with one of the lads i work here and we couldn't come to a mutual agreement on where would be the best place to pop in a hospital into the locality. We named the Dublin road just outside carlow or perhaps the kilkenny side of carlow as you suggested it. Perhaps the best place to put it on the kilkenny side of carlow would be somewhere on the main Carlow- Kilkenny road between Bagenalstown and Leighlinbridge.The location would not be that important in essence though once carlow got a hospital. It has been the missing attribute from carlow's asset portfolio for numerous years now and it is about time this was rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

It would be good to have a regional hospital here but the way things are with the HSE and bugets its a non starter. Look at Louth there trying to close that one. In fairness the district does a good job for minor stuff and having been in Kilkenny they provide a good service, but than waterford anyway. I thought a private hospital was to open near Darcys on the dublin road no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Doctors would be a good start ....

From what I've heard none of the GPs are taking on new patients ....

• Advertisement

blacknight wrote: »

Are you serious that is a joke isn't it.Definitely doctors would be a great start.That is horrendous if that is true.Fortunately i haven't needed to see a GP and by the sounds of it thank god too.

I haven't heard anything about a private hospital but any sort of hospital addition would be a fine asset to carlow. Yeah the HSE is in bits at the moment all right. Isn't it a sign of a crappy government that they are closing down hospitals. This country is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Build where the that sugar factory is. Lots of roads (that the trucks used), and I'd say it's a big enough area...

That's a really good idea actually and it would be giving back to the area. The main road would not be a problem because alot of hospitals are situated on main roads,i.e. Waterford.

It's such a pity the whole idea is definitely a non runner though. We badly need a replacement for kilkenny. Myself and my sister on the occasions that we were in hospital in kilkenny many years ago were both transferred to waterford because there was no available doctors in kilkenny.Personally i don't like kilkenny. I by no means am saying Dublin or Waterford are better than Kilkenny but it is filthy. I would rather pay through the roof for private treatment than go to kilkenny. I'm a bit off topic but alot of people i know think the same hence highlighting the need for carlow to have it's own hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

blacknight wrote: »

yip very true. In rathvilly the doctor is not taking on any more patients. I brought this up when the polititians called looking for votes during the election and I intend to follow it up with them in the coming weeks.

Why are the GP's not taking on any new patients?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 clairesheara

I may be moving to Carlow....I heard there is a hospital...Sacred Heart? And if I move there, would I find a GP??????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I may be moving to Carlow....I heard there is a hospital...Sacred Heart? And if I move there, would I find a GP??????

I just answered a post in your other Thread but I wasn't aware that the GPs weren't taking on new patients. Sorry!!!
    I'm sure we could find phone numbers for you if you wanted to ring up the surgerys and ask them yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

There is no general hospital in Carlow for that you must go to Kilkenny. The sacred heart is basically an old folks home. We have a district hospital which provides a service called caredoc, one of the first in the country. Caredoc is an out of hours family doctors service for patients with urgent medical problems who need to contact a doctor after surgeries close. The aim of the Caredoc is to provide a high quality, easily accessible family doctor service for urgent medical problems out of normal surgery hours. Persons with identical needs receive the same standard of treatment and care, irrespective of where they live, where they are treated, what their incomes are or whether they are public patients or private patients.

In relation to a GP in Carlow, I suggest you contact the GP's themselves to find out. I think if you need a GP you will get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smile and be ha

I was speaking with some friends about this at the weekend and apparently only a couple of GP's practice are taking on new patients as they are so busy. One or 2 town GP's appear to be so sought after that they have not taken on patients in several YEARS !!!
    One thing that compounds the issue is that while CAREDOC started in carlow a small number of GP's are still not in it. All the new patients moving to town especially with young kids want to join a practice which is a member of caredoc as it is regarded as very efficient and accessible and modern. Some friends have moved to Carlow and are very happy to have been able to register with a practice that is a member of Caredoc in the past month. Has anyone else had different experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

Yep i agree we should have a proper hospital in Carlow. It's ridiculous that carlow ppl have to travel to Kilkenny or even waterford for proper service. Was in Kilkenny hospital and it is a kip!Not even a proper building!!! Waterford now is very good. At least it looks like a hospital!!
    I read a newspaper saying the HSE wants to build some community center? but i think they should put their priority into building a hospital!! And i can't believe some posts above said that they're actually "closing" hospitals?? that is just not right!

and yes,most doctors in carlow don't take new patients any more.One of a friend from work was pregnant(well she felt really sick and need a doctor to confirm pregnancy) rang around and no-one would take her!! took her around 2 weeks to found a clinic to take her. Which is just stupid.
    Must say,most public services are very unprofessional.

Yep i agree we should have a proper hospital in Carlow. It's ridiculous that carlow ppl have to travel to Kilkenny or even waterford for proper service.

Good post, Carlow does need a hospital, Above i just singled out something you said that i wanted to bring to everyones attention and i know you highlighted it later in your post.

Above stated that carlow has no hospital so we have to go to kilkenny or waterford for proper service. We actually have to travel to kilkenny for inadequate filthy service and to waterford for a slightly better yet not adequate service. I have had experience in both hospitals and would personally rather wait to be treated privately in future.

Carlow County Council and the Health sector executive really need to work together to change this health center and work towards a new hospital in carlow. Or better yet both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

Above stated that carlow has no hospital so we have to go to kilkenny or waterford for proper service. We actually have to travel to kilkenny for inadequate filthy service and to waterford for a slightly better yet not adequate service.

i think ya'd find in the last HSE report kilkenny is far less filty than waterford and your not stuck on a troley in a hall way for days,:eek:

Above stated that carlow has no hospital so we have to go to kilkenny or waterford for proper service. We actually have to travel to kilkenny for inadequate filthy service and to waterford for a slightly better yet not adequate service.

i think ya'd find in the last HSE report kilkenny is far less filty than waterford and your not stuck on a troley in a hall way for days,:eek:

still regardless of whichever you determine is sub-standard the fact is that they both are. I thought through my personal experiance a few years ago waterford was cleaner. Perhaps that is not the case now but the fact is still that they are sub-standard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sondal

stick-dan wrote: »
    I'd rather be kept alive lol :P

But seriously good thread topic mate. Carlow is expanding so quickly we really do need to have a proper hospital there! Travelling back and forth to Kilkenny just aint gonna cut it anymore. It's time we had our own proper regional hosptal here.

dont worry, the state of the art "Touchstone" primary care health centre is due for completion in December 2008. The timber panels are around the old disused site, and from what I heard they will crane in a four seasons style medical centre, the like that has never been seen in ireland. untill, then one has to stay sober and saunter up to that magic HSE support servcies on Athy road called Caredoc. They care for the patient as long as you can pay. How ever its run by a old fashioned bully who has seen dozens of nurses leave in the last decade. Caredoc me foot.
    Anyone really sick in Carlow, is best leaving town , where a proper hospital and out of hours service is available

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think people need a reality check here. Do you really think the Govt are going to build a new hospital in carlow when they can barely invest in nearby ones in KK,Naas and portlaoise.
    St. Lukes in KK is in a poor location relative to carlow, if it were out the Carlow side of town things would be far easier. But that hospital has it's roots in the 1940s, doubt that was a consideration at the time.
    A new hospital for Carlow town publicly funded just is never going to happen unfortunately, espec with a new motorway link coming onstream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Starbeam

I definitely think it'd be hard (virtually impossible) for the government to consider investing in a whole new hospital. But even to provide a basic A&E service would be something. I'm pretty sure St Dympna's is used for just some psychiatric service, and some X-ray and dental... I wonder would there be any room in the rest of the hospital that the government might consider investing in.... *wishful thinking* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Starbeam wrote: »
    I definitely think it'd be hard (virtually impossible) for the government to consider investing in a whole new hospital. But even to provide a basic A&E service would be something. I'm pretty sure St Dympna's is used for just some psychiatric service, and some X-ray and dental... I wonder would there be any room in the rest of the hospital that the government might consider investing in.... *wishful thinking* :)

Carlow just 22 miles from Kilkenny is all the head honchos in the HSE and more importantly the Dept of Finance will se on a map and the decision is easy. It simply does not fit into the "Centres of Excellence" model as per Hanley report. Its sad but true unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Well...there is a hospital being built in Carlow, yes a proper one.

Unfortunately it's private :rolleyes:

but a hospital nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if you or anyone breaks their arm on a friday you will be taken to kilkenny and depending on the time you may be sent to waterford from kilkenny as there is not always a radiographer in kilkenny so you go to kilkenny and then to waterford for an x-ray and you will then be taken back to kilkenny to have the x-ray looked at by a consultant who will put a temporary cast on your arm and book you into the fracture clinic in kilkenny or waterford on the following monday or tuesday! this even happens with young children! the system is disgraceful

having a hospital in carlow will be of no benefit if it is staffed like kilkenny on an ad hoc basis and only catering for monday to friday accidents/injuries! many doctors will stich up their fee paying patients but they will send medical card patients straight to hospital as the hse do not pay them for even the simplist procedures which if your family doctor was to do them would take so much pressure off the overstretched hospitals!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The system is disgraceful

Well said.

Advertisement