Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband report on Prime Time

Options
  • 14-02-2008 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I see Prime Time have a report on broadband availability later tonight. It sounds like they're touting it as an 'expose'.:rolleyes:
    Maybe worth a look if you don't want to watch the other rubbish that's on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Just watched it. That guy from Comreg was a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

just watched the article on prime time, and if its true that they put the office junior in charge of the roll out of the plan then it just neatly sums up this (and the previous) governments attitude to what is such a critical issue for the country...........

They have no clue, no ambition and no interest.....

M.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that guy was a disgrace, he more or less claimed that Ireland has the fastest and best broadband in Europe refusing to listen to any critism as if there was no one else in the studio. The map showing the broadband penetration of Ireland (red areas) was also a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

i have clearwire.....i could do a movie on them.have me heart broken.dreadful service.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Yeah, the ostrich from comreg was ridiculous. "Everybody has broadband." "Don't be silly, you found the only two people in the country that haven't got it." "Black is white".

Then we had various captains of industry shaking their heads. It would be funny if it weren't so serious.

And to cap it all, Eamon Ryan's performance was a master-class in BS. He almost defended the handling of the sale of eircom at one point, and finally admitted that it might have been wrong 'in hind-sight'. Not what he was saying in opposition.

Then he tells us that they'll complete the NBS in a year from June, and that if we're in a 'red' area, and can't get broadband, he'll tippex the red dot out?

Well thanks for that Eamo. In June 2009, if my folks still don't have broadband access (they're covered by a red blob), I'll be expecting to see Eamo up a pole connecting us up.

Oh, and in terms of that one year timescale, does this mean he's going to say that "Oh well, satellite covers the whole country, so my job's done!"

Pshht... a waste of much needed oxygen.

Edit: BTW the co-op student running the NBS was covered in a thread below.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Same auld crap, different day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Lying Ryan strikes again. Now, go tell everyone of his new name. :)

John Doherty from ComReg didn't come across as believable at all. People are using 1mb in the majority cos that's all they can get John. They want more. The fudging about the broadband map was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Edit: BTW the co-op student running the NBS was covered in a thread below.

It was thanks to that thread that that student issue got highlighed. Well done to clohamon for finding it and spreading the word on it. Your work got on to Prime Time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

Thanks.

I see he also re-used (or is it re-cycled?) Noel Dempsey's old argument.
    'Don't complain; its unpatriotic.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Elephant Man

Ryan told us all not to worry. A successful tenderer will be nominated in june and work will start immediately and it will take twelve months to complete !!
    Does this mean that they are going to spend 400 million in twelve months ???I prefer Sponge's assessment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Watching it last night, Doherty and Ryan tried to give the impression that the DCMNR map was mostly OK and they would update it to take account of any errors - "an evolving process". Yeah.

So I was wondering if it would be difficult to overlay the DCMNR map onto Google maps? And then allow users post a marker from any location where they can't get broadband. This would help show up the DCMNR map for the fiction that it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭rom

now that is an excellent idea

Advertisement