Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isserlis at NCH

Options
  • 14-02-2008 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on this concert?

I enjoyed it very much - but then the Cello concerto (and Haydn's other one) would be one of my desert island discs.

However, I found the playing of the ICO a bit lacklustre - more for the sound than the artistry : concert hall too big? playing style not 'period' as we have become accustomed to through CDs these days? Hadnt heard them since Nige played with them in the Helix but thought he got a lot more out of them somehow. And while I wouldnt fault Isserlis for his playing in the concerto, it was unremarkable. Where I thought he was excellent, was in the solo of the first symphony, and maybe just expected too much from him in the concerto.

Advertisement