Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anybody here going to enter the Google Anderoid Challenge

Options
  • 14-02-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

I might have a go at creating some apps for this.

Google Android Challenge

10million US$ in prize money.

Is anybody on boards.ie doing any work for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

interesting; first I've heard about it. I'll enter if I can think of a good idea for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just started having a look at Android this morning. It's damn cool looking!

Oh yeah, there's no e in Android ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

I have an idea i'd love to try but finding the time (without quitting my job) is the big problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

markf909 wrote: »
    I have an idea i'd love to try but finding the time (without quitting my job) is the big problem

I'd love to enter -- I have an idea. Thing is, there's no way I'm signing up to the T&Cs! Google effectively own everything.

You're better off going down the traditional start-up funding avenues.

Mind you if you're a geek, have waay too much time on your hands and think google are gods, go right ahead. I'm sure google will find a place for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

From the FAQ:
    "Developers retain all intellectual property and other rights to their applications while granting Google a license to evaluate and test the application for purposes of the Challenge as well as a license to display the application to promote the Android platform."

Seems like you'll still own your idea. I wonder how many ideas will come to fruition from this competition!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's a great idea on google's part. There'll be some pretty serious applications created just for this competition, it's drawing a lot of interest to their platform, and if even only one or two of the entries are killer apps it'll really kickstart adoption of the platform by the public.

And there will be at least one killer app if I ever get the time to get my entry together :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Cantab. wrote: »

Mind you if you're a geek, have waay too much time on your hands and think google are gods, go right ahead. I'm sure google will find a place for you.

There's the nub, once i finish work, there is no chance in hell of me wanting to do any coding at home or on weekends.

If you are one of the types who has no social life/ outside activities etc then chances are you are probably already employed by Google developing the killer android app :D

That said I have been evaluating the android SDK in work and it is well put together from just getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Wow! What a clever move on Google's part. There will be tens of thousands of entries for this, most of which will go on to become available for Google's new platform, that sort of support from developers will be good money for Google's $10m. It seems like the sort of thing where a killer idea and creativity will be worth far more than serious coding/design abilities. The winners of this will push the boundaries of Web 2.0 with regard to telecommunications, mashups etc. Will be worth keeping an eye on I think.

Advertisement