Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc. Software Design and Development

Options
  • 13-02-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm currently doing a H. Dip. in Software Design. It's a one year course that shares a lot of lectures with the Masters class. Just found out that if my results are good enough at the end of this semester I can opt to apply to do the second year of the Masters. It's a year spend working on a project with research work. I like the sound of this and would appreciate any comments e.g. what should I expect, do many hours go into it, is it worth it etc

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mir2001

Hi- I've worked in programming for the last 10 yrs having come from a post grad diploma in computer science - at the time I was going to go on and do the masters but I decided to get work experience first. I would say (benefit of hindsight) to do the masters straight away. Its much harder to come back later and do it. Working full time in an area makes it hard to motivate yourself to spend evenings at college at the same subject when you're tired. Also - although a lot of programmers do not have masters an increasing number do and if there is a job squeeze it could help to be better qualified. Even the company I work for has started to mention that it would be desired in their job specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

You may be glad to know that DCU have just started a new part-time delivery of their M.Sc. in Software Engineering this year.

It's over two years instead of one year full time but perfect if you get company buy in to do the Masters as they'll possibly also sponsor you and support you doing it.

Anyways - post-grad IT degrees are very cheap - they cost €1600 per annum last year...

They also have part-time delivery of the Masters in Security and Forensic Computing...

Advertisement