Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a charity

Options
  • 13-02-2008 8:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

Hi, can anyone advise how to do this in Ireland. I tried to open a bank account for donations but was unable without at least two signaturies (not a problem to get) and 'charity no'. I think they meant the CHY no. But we can't get a CHY number that I know of, as the main operations are in the UK. But we have an 'Irish Team' here working for the charity and seems pointless sending Euro to a Sterling account in the UK since we are helping a country which uses Euro.

Any advise would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The information is on revenue.ie. Do a boards-wide search - there's more information.
    Be aware that there is no formalised and logical system like in the U.K. - you just fill in forms and pester the Revenue Comm and maybe sacrifice a goat to get a CHY/Charity Number. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Yes I think its best to go to the revenue first and tell them you want to set up charity. Need to ensure your charitable aims are "charitable' in their eyes. You may also need to gain Company status, though Companies House, if you want to hire staff and own property. Etc
    There are new moves to professionalise and regulate the Charitable sector probably similar to Britain. Check out.

http://www.wheel.ie/user/policy_advocacy/charities_legislation_and_regulation/more_about_the_charities_regulation_bill_2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tareisoir

Without knowing any of your details, you could also possibly set up a society account - same thing, two signatures needed, but no CHY needed. You will need a copy of your constitution though. If you are a formal group you would need to have something which says what you do and how you do it. This does not need to be a very large document.

Otherwise, consider setting up as a 'company limited by guarantee without a share capital' (details at cro.ie) and then apply for a CHY from the revenue commissioners. Lot of work involved, but may be worth it as it protects members.

Advertisement