Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW in College

Options
  • 13-02-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I got WoW for christmas and have leveled a 56 hunter. Im loving this game but i can't seem to connect to it when im in college (UCD). Does anyone know why this is and any way to sort it out.I think it may be ports or something because torrents are blocked as well. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's so they can ensure that their network is used for learning.

if everyone was using torrents/warcraft even loading a webmail site would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

So is there no way around it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there probably is but it won't be allowed to be discussed here as it's against the rules in the college forums to ask how to bypass the college firewall so i'm assuming it should be no different here.

please. i also suffer boneitis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There are ways around it, but im not gonna risk getting banned while telling you.. Sorry. But google will tell you how to do it.

• Advertisement

Guess ill have to wait to see if a mod will allow it or if anyone wants to discreetly PM me

Ok thanks for the fast responses guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

you could always get a 3g modem

student = poor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

student = poor

Student + Wow = Poorer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Student + Wow = Poorer

Student + WoW = Poorer + Repeat Exams

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

nesf wrote: »
    Quoted for sad truth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Theres also the fact that your college IT guys wont look to fondly on you trying to bypass the firewall/ports. Some (i.e most) colleges see this as a major breach, and you can get in serious trouble for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

nesf wrote: »

you know me so well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

if everyone was using torrents/warcraft even loading a webmail site would be awful.
    Wow takes an unbelievably small amount of bandwidth.
    That said it's a good thing its blocked or else there would be even less computers available for learning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Cremo wrote: »
    it's so they can ensure that their network is used for learning.

I work network admin for a college (dont worry its not UCD :D ) and i can tell you most detinatly the ports are blocked. I'll just echo the rest of the posters by saying its a bad idea to try to bypass them.

I dont know what UCD is like but they probably have a computer usage policy for their computer labs that probably states if you try to use the PC's for anything like torrents or WoW at the very least you'll get your access to the computer labs suspended (even for legit college work you wont be allowed logon) or even removed totally. At an absolute worst case scenario you could get yourself suspended from college

Its happened here, but i dont know what UCD is like but i imagine their quite similiar

I know i seem like a naysayer and a scaremonger but trust me mate colleges take IT security and file sharing torrents etc very seriously. all external IP bandwidth into and out of the UCD is probably monitored.

While im an avid hardcore WoW gamer i agree with you completely there's nothing more id love to do than install it here in work but i can guarentee you id get caught and eventually so would you. While you will definatly be able to bypass the firewall using google you wont be able to cover your tracks completely and eventually you could get caught.

If you have Wow at home then you can play there. or you could always join an internet/gaming cafe there are plenty of them around dublin that will allow you to play WoW for hours and its not expensive at all.

again im sorry if i come across as the narky old man in the corner its just i have the unique view point of being able to tell you what its like to work as a network admin in a 3rd level institute and id strongly advise you not to do it.

either way what ever you decide to do good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Cremo wrote: »
    there probably is but it won't be allowed to be discussed here as it's against the rules in the college forums to ask how to bypass the college firewall so i'm assuming it should be no different here.

If it's banned on the college forums then it'd be no different here.
    Really wouldn't risk getting in trouble over something like this if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

a 3g modem isnt a bad idea at all now. 19.99€ a month.

Actually i didnt even think of a 3G modem!!

thats actually a really good idea. Or the college should have a wireless network setup if worst really did come to worst you should be able to play it via wireless.

well the wireless was what i wanted to try it on but its blocked as well. Thanks for the advice al][en maybe im playing a wee bit to much wow at the moment anyway. That damn AH is so addicting.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

Its happened here, but i dont know what UCD is like but i imagine their quite similiar
    Don't think ive ever seen any one play wow or any other non web browser based game on the UCD machines (it prob happens but ive never seen it).
    What you do get is cs games over the college network but people bring in their own laptops for it and don't think they bother connecting to external servers(prob cos they blocked too ;) ), just within the ucd network (probably even just within the csi network).

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Don't think ive ever seen any one play wow or any other non web browser based game on the UCD machines (it prob happens but ive never seen it).
    What you do get is cs games over the college network but people bring in their own laptops for it and don't think they bother connecting to external servers(prob cos they blocked too ;) ), just within the ucd network (probably even just within the csi network).

Its about the same here too, at the moment You'll get the odd LAN game of CS or COD (which i turn a blind eye to cos lets face it when i was in college i used to play doom and quake 2 on our college LAN) and there are the obvious web games that are played.

WoW is addictive as hell i know, and there's nothing more id love to do than to sit in work and play WoW :p

I dont know what the csi network is i imagine its a VLAN on your network, if so then i know where your coming from the same thing happens here. Id say it happens everywhere in every college in the country.

still there's always WoW at home thats all that matters really i get my WoW fix everyday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Kiith wrote: »
    Theres also the fact that your college IT guys wont look to fondly on you trying to bypass the firewall/ports. Some (i.e most) colleges see this as a major breach, and you can get in serious trouble for it.
    There is also the fact that several UCD IT guys post on boards (and no, I'm not one).

Blowfish wrote: »
    There is also the fact that several UCD IT guys post on boards (and no, I'm not one).

Actually i never thought of that :D

plus if you really were hacking the college network and bragging about it on boards, There's nothing stopping the UCD IT guys having a friendly chat with the boards admin's on the side and asking them for the IP addresses of said offenders.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

'AL wrote:
    [EN;55148149']plus if you really were hacking the college network and bragging about it on boards, There's nothing stopping the UCD IT guys having a friendly chat with the boards admin's on the side and asking them for the IP addresses of said offenders.
    Wouldnt all the IP address be dynamic, so tracing it would be tougher..or am i totally insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

Lol.

Unless you used your 3g modem on forums then ran to college hoping the signal stayed up and you stil have the connection with local masses then possibly yeah..

AS said, noone is trying to offer a way around the colleges restrictions so the idea of hacking it should be left unsaid.

Best advice, you have an urge to play wow in college and your not in class, ask a friend of get a 3g modem, the latency wont be an issue and bill wont crucify your drinking money :)

I'm laughing at the idea Boards admin and Ucd admin tracing down a wireless hacker. Its a joke :P You may get an Ip at most, traceroute and find his provider, but no way in hell would they trace it to a student in the college, regardless of their activity here. Its not lawful and in doing so they'd be breaching quite alot of rules themselves :)

Advertisement