Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed Please

Options
  • 13-02-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

After a very bad experience with a dentist many many years ago I haven't been back to one (probably about 15 years now).

I have been vigilant in looking after my teeth but I reckon now I need to maybe get some fillings etc. I am not having any pain but have noticed some erosion & a couple of what look like cavaties. (Holes in 2 of my molars).

I know I should just go to a dentist & get it sorted before I do have pain but the thought makes me feel ill.

So my first query would be if there are any dentists that are able to give you a general anesthetic or knock you out in some way?

Also the second query would be if you need to pay all dentists up front in full or are there any out there who will do the work & let you pay off the cost over time.

I would not have any money to go to the dentist for a consultation let alone get any work done. Also I have looked into getting a loan but am not able to do so because I have no credit rating (never had a loan or a credit card or anything).

If anyone could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it as I am really really worried that one day I am going to wake up in agony needing root canals & all sorts because I have let it go for so long & I won't have the courage or money to see a dentist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I avoided dentists up on till recently (there's a thread about it) and only went because I was having a problem. Based on my experiences I would suggest that you book a check up for the moment. They can tell you what problems you have (if any) and at least you will know what needs to be done. At this stage there is little to be gained from worrying about the cost or pain until you know what's needed. Tell the dentist that you're nervous-my dentist figured I was as soon as she saw me.

As for cost, if you have enough PRSI payments it will reduce the cost of your initial visit. Even if you don't it should still come in below €100. I had x-rays taken, teeth cleaned and a temporary filling put in for €90 on my first visit.

Advertisement