Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dizzy during swim

Options
  • 13-02-2008 2:38am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I got a bout of dizznyess at about the 100-150m stage of 750m front crawl. By the time I was out of the pool and walking home I was staggering about like a drunk, seriously to the right every few metres :eek: It wore off after 5 or 10 mins.

Previously only got this when in open water during the London tri last August, and back then I put it down to waves.

Anyone else get this, or have any tips? I guess in the pool it comes from trying to rock backwards and forwards to float on my sides.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I get this sometimes, i think it's mainly down to my shíte breathing which always leaves me a bit all over the place after. Also I find sipping water during a session prevents this a bit.

A swim coach told me to never leave the pool with a heart rate over 110bpm (i think that was it) because this would also lead to dizzyness. So I always warm down with a couple of 50m sets to slow the heart down.

But if this happened after 150m, well i've no other idea. I'm sure someone else will though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Boss,
    Have you eaten well before you go for a swim?
    I know that if I end up going for a swim around the time I should be eating, I can get light-headed.
    That, in combination with pushing yourself too hard could be depriving your body of oxygen?
    Was this a normal swim for you, or were you pushing yourself extra hard. Maybe training excessively the day before had taken it out of you?

Generally something like that means the body is letting you know that something is out of whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Occasionally get it after racing and hammering to the finish - staggering around the beach like i'm drunk etc.... Been a while since i got it in the pool - Cunnins4 has a good point, it was usually where i got out before swimming down properly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

cunnins4 wrote: »
    A swim coach told me to never leave the pool with a heart rate over 110bpm (i think that was it) because this would also lead to dizzyness. So I always warm down with a couple of 50m sets to slow the heart down.

Good point. I'll bear it in mind next time. I did cool down with 250m of breast stroke and a few 25m crawl sprints towards the end of it, but was probably knackered.
    paulksnn wrote: »
    Have you eaten well before you go for a swim?
    I know that if I end up going for a swim around the time I should be eating, I can get light-headed.
    That, in combination with pushing yourself too hard could be depriving your body of oxygen?
    Was this a normal swim for you, or were you pushing yourself extra hard. Maybe training excessively the day before had taken it out of you?

I ate about an hour or 90 minutes beforehand and wasn't lacking energy. Perhaps it is my breating, or just general tiredness from other stuff the day before.
    Occasionally get it after racing and hammering to the finish

I'll take it a bit easier next time before getting out of the pool. This was a normal ish swim, actually slightly slower than usual. For the the past 2 months I have been averaging 750m in 19 or 20 minutes. That particular swim was about 21.

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm often dizzy but then I suffer from the lovely combination of low blood pressure and vertigo. In fact I'm quite a crock, welcome to the zimmerframe and cocoa part of boards boassarky.

On a serious note, if it's only happened the once, forget about it. It it becomes a regular thing, keep a diary of the possible triggers, rapid HR changes, hydration, nutrition, even what togs & goggles you use. If you can't find a trigger, I'm a fan of a preventative trip to the doc just to rule out any nasty possibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Ear infection ?

Its the only thing left out above, If you've had an earache or an abcess at any stage recently, It could just be cold air hitting warm ear drum and causing a bit of pressure. Blocked sinus can sometimes cause a bit of this too, Water in your ears and inability to equalize ear pressure can cause a bit of dizzy spell. If its a once off, don't lose sleep over it. If it happens again, give the GP a shout nad get him to have a gawk in yourear

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ear infection ?

Its the only thing left out above, If you've had an earache or an abcess at any stage recently, It could just be cold air hitting warm ear drum and causing a bit of pressure. Blocked sinus can sometimes cause a bit of this too, Water in your ears and inability to equalize ear pressure can cause a bit of dizzy spell. If its a once off, don't lose sleep over it. If it happens again, give the GP a shout nad get him to have a gawk in yourear

No, not an ear infection. Speaking of ears:

Q: How many ears does Dr.Spock have?

A: The right ear, the left ear, and the final frontier.

Advertisement