Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i go to this college

Options
  • 12-02-2008 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

ok,i want to go to college but the college i want to go to is the exact same place people that i dont like are going to.these people are pricks and the worst thing about it is there the only ones out of my school that want to go to the same college as i do.they used to pick on me because they have ego problems and things like that,they are pricks,they pick on people that dont do anything to them.which makes them dickheads.

so my question is should i go to this college but if i do i probally will see them out in the nightclubs and stuff like that,and i want to be happy in college but if i see them i wont be which would dampen my personality and make college not that fun and i wouldnt be starting of new........if you dont have fun you wont work,to all those people that say,its college your there to work...it dosent work like that ok.

if anyone has had a problem like this give me a few thoughts and ideas on what you think, this is important.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Depending on the size of the college, chances are you won't see them anywhere near as much as you think.

If its UL no. Otherwise none of you will give a ****e about each other when you go to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ancientdog

Depending on the size of the college, chances are you won't see them anywhere near as much as you think.
    but i could see them in a night club,things like that,then there imaturness would put me down,and maybe make me not as willing to meet or show people what im like,they might tell people what they think im like,,,dont talk to him hes a loser ,,or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

Ok, what college are you thinking of? If it's something like one of the ITs which are in smaller centres of population, then yes, you might meet them in clubs. Although it still won't be as bad as you fear unless you let it be. But if it's Galway, Cork or one of the Dublin Unis chances of you bumping into them, unless ye're doing the same course, are damn slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

I'd go to the college if I were you. College is different from school. More then likely you won't see them very much anyway. I wouldn't let a bully etc control my life and thats what you would be doing if you decided not to go to college because of them. That or you can always burn them.... That always works! :D;):D

But seriously....

The day you let people dictate the way you live your life is the day you give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

No need to worry, college is a different planet to school. You'll also be surprised how much people change when they reach college. Quiet people become fun, pricks become more easy-going, etc. If the college is in a reasonably-sized town/city, your chances of running into old school enemies are much smaller anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why should you let a bunch of fukktards (I'm taking your word for it that they are bullying you) influence your decision? Come on man, it's YOUR life! You'll meet them in the pubs - so what? You can either let them intimidate you or you can show them you're the bigger person by either (a) standing up to them, or (b) ignoring them. I'd go for (b) unless they specifically target you for grief. What makes you so sure they will though? And try to remember that if they're gonna say to your mates "he's a loser bla bla" (which I seriously doubt would happen - come on, think more of yourself than that) your mates have their own mind and the far stronger likelihood is that they'll just ignore them and/or think "what sort of fukking muppet would be sad enough to go out of his/her way to tell me that the person I'm drinking with is a loser".

And it's true: college IS very different to school in a lot of regards. Sure, you have the cliques but they just keep themselves to themselves, they don't go out of their way to snipe at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ancientdog

Dudess wrote: »
    Why should you let a bunch of fukktards (I'm taking your word for it that they are bullying you) influence your decision? Come on man, it's YOUR life! You'll meet them in the pubs - so what? You can either let them intimidate you or you can show them you're the bigger person by either (a) standing up to them, or (b) ignoring them. I'd go for (b) unless they specifically target you for grief. What makes you so sure they will though?
    ok i do stand up to them,they have a small gang and they all play a part even if i make them look like idiots,,,there just ***** mostly everybody knows th type im talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well then go to that college. Those idiots may rule the roost at school, but they won't at college.

Seriously, if you don't go to the college you want to go to, when you're older you'll absolutely kick yourself for not going just for this piss-poor reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

ancientdog wrote: »
    ok i do stand up to them,they have a small gang and they all play a part even if i make them look like idiots,,,there just ***** mostly everybody knows th type im talking about.

The type that are popular and do well in sport and will do well in college and have a great time?
    There's plenty of former secondary school wierdo's/unpopular kids heading for colleges all over Ireland, don't worry, you'll be grand, you won't stick out and you'll find others more to your liking to hang around with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

you will have a whole new social group when you go to college so dont worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

you probably wont run into these people. i havent met one of my old housemates from last year in a few months and it's not as if we've been avoiding each other. you're worrying too much. college changes people, people who are pricks in school level out due to going from being someone in a school of a few hundred to being a nobody in a college of thousands. it's no use running, thngs more than likely will go fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Tbh you probably wont see them all that much. As for the group continuing to give you grief, that sort of sh*t would be frowned upon by the general first year populus i'm sure. Don't forget these people have to make first impressions as well so they wont be anything like they were in secondary school. No-one wants to get painted with the obnoxious bully brush in first year of college. So go to college meet good people and have good times, dont let people like that put a single doubt in your mind. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I wouldn't worry about it, unless the college is very small or they're in the same course as you (as in the same classes) you'll rarely see them. Loads of people who were in my year in school also went to the same college as me and I never saw them. Also the bullies might have grow up and changed their attitude when they get to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I rarely see a load of people I went to secondary school with in college. DONT let them make you change your mind on where you want to go. If you are going to Limerick, Galway, Cork or Dublin then you will rarely if ever see them the student population is huge in all those places.

Try put them to the back of your mind and forget about them in college cause believe it or not they'll probably do the same with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Seriously OP, go to the college you want to go to. You'll meet new friends and be in a total different social circle than in secondary school.

Also, people mature quite quickly after secondary school, you might even find yourself friends with them. Even if you don't, just realise that they're kids being kids, it happens, when they're grown up fully they'll be totally different people.

But regardless, it's your life and you've got to live it the way you want to, and not let others stand in your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Do what you want. Don't let anybody else influence decisions. Chances are you won't see them anyway and even if you do, it's only that, seeing them, you don't have to talk to them or even acknowledge them if you don't want to. The only time I saw people I went to secondary school with that were in my college was when I arranged to meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

risk it for a biscuit. do you wanna be 54 and look back and realise you're not doin as well as you could be coz you chose to do something ya didnt really wanna do coz you were afraid some gimps might call you gay or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you probably want to go to the colleges forum or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

if it was me then i wouldn't but thats just my personal opinion. Thankfully only two people from my year went to my college, its quite small so we do bump into each other an odd time and i see them in lectures a bit. but if your thinking of going to a large college like UCD chances are u might not see them around too much and they might not even turn up to the lectures.
    Though, u really wanna ask yourself though am i running away from my problems if i dont go here? Am i letting them influence my life?
    Some people get wiser or even mature (in the case of the guys in your case!!) when they go to college, like new start and stuff.
    But honestly do what u feel is right, and try not to worry because the time the results come out u might have changed ur mind with the college or got more points than expected, etc , etc. So try not to worry about this too much just focus on the leaving cert and getting over it and it will be so worth it. Hope it everything works well for u and good luck! : )

• Advertisement
Advertisement