Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College work experience - Funded by Government?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Mods,
    Please move this if it's in the wrong place (couldn't find anywhere more suitable)

I am going on work placement for 6 months as part of my degree course (Computing). The GF works in Hibernian and they take on students for work experience (diff field to me altogether) and she said that 75% of their wages are paid for by 'The Government'

So the Government pay 75% of the wages and the company pay the other 25%

Can anyone shed any light on this, or is it total bull? Google isint giving any useful info

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Geometric_Jon

Sounds like bull to me. Not fully sure though man. All I know is that its a pain in the arse lookin for placement. I'm searchin at the moment, have tried web design companies all over Ireland and none of them want to pay. Finally got one guy who said he'd give me a month's trial. The college have put very little effort in to help us out, and seems hard to find information anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

the government does not pay any subsidy for taking college students on for work experience. They pay 0%.

Some bus get subsidies for taking on the long term unemployed or disabled people. But it's never 75%.

Bus are interested in students for placement usually because they can pay them so little,, and they have them on a try before you buy scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

The only government subsidised pay is for maternity leave where the government pays 90% of the salary and normally the employer tops up the other 10%.

NOt a change in hell does college work experience get paid by the government. Closest to that is nurses on placement for a year.

Advertisement