Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures Of Planets

Options
  • 12-02-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Why do alot them look like CGI, yet Nasa and whoever pass them off as real...

They all look so perfect, no character etc....

Neptune, Saturn etc...

1435011004_Saturn-med.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would say because of the distance that blurs them a bit. Look at closer planets - the moon and Mars. Plenty of character there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is everything in fact a conspiracy.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

biko wrote: »
    I would say because of the distance that blurs them a bit. Look at closer planets - the moon and Mars. Plenty of character there.

Er the moon is not a planet.
    OP-Try looking at them through a telescope instead of Nasa images if you've that much of a problem. Much of the aberrations are lost when you look at planets on the scale shown. Close up pictures reveal a different story. Try using interferometers instead, then you'll see lots of interesting activity across the spectrum. Not all planets are blue and green with distinguisable white clouds and snow caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Mars.

mars.jpg

Venus.

venus_magellan.jpg

I think the quality in further away planets are due to the fact that the planets are so large, you have to been an extreme distance away to capture a picture.. Also, all the large planets have moons, debris, and such that I'd imagine the equipment would have to stay clear from incase they got damaged. I'm not totally sure, but I don't see how it counts as a conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Jocksereire

wow beautiful pictures!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The planets are all faked I presume

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I've only recently been getting into astronomy OP, and your original picture of Saturn is fairly accurate to what you will get with a terrestrial telescope. Obviously, a picture from a probe would be far superior, but I have to say, although there is evidence that NASA airbrush photographs, that they don't fake the pictures of the planets.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Kernel wrote: »
    ...there is evidence that NASA airbrush photographs...
    There is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Planets schmanets, check this out sometime

www.galaxyzoo.org

for a nice dose of perspective on the universe.

Dunno if y'd call it airbrushin, but I remember sein on a docco that NASA 'tidy up' some of the photos before releasing them, didnt seem all that sinister tho.

but hey the planets may have been faked by the Lizardpeople :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

but hey the planets may have been faked by the Lizardpeople :D

You know too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Why do alot them look like CGI, yet Nasa and whoever pass them off as real...

They all look so perfect, no character etc....

Neptune, Saturn etc...

Obviously someone who knows nothing about Astronomy.

you are correct though.. some of the pictures, while not CGI will have been touched up., Not just planets but galaxies etc. Most if not all of the colour in the hubble pictures have been added in layer by layer to represent the colour it should be. the hubble itself is only capturing light. In fact im pretty sure it captures them in black and white or greyscale and the colour is added in later.

Even if i look at a planet with a telescope i myself will see very little in the way of colour.

The Saturn pic you posted will have been taken by either an earth telescope or even the hubble.

The lovely pics dlofnep posted would be from spacecraft sent to them. No telescope has that power of zoom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There is?

Yup, sworn testimony of at least one Nasa employee who took part in Greer's ongoing Disclosure Project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

you are correct though.. some of the pictures, while not CGI will have been touched up., Not just planets but galaxies etc. Most if not all of the colour in the hubble pictures have been added in layer by layer to represent the colour it should be. the hubble itself is only capturing light. In fact im pretty sure it captures them in black and white or greyscale and the colour is added in later.

IS that he same for the various landers? I've often heard of the sky on Mars being blue etc like here.

Advertisement