Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exciting week

Options
  • 12-02-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

The weather might have quietened down but I'm still going to have an exciting week! Ordered my new Vantage Pro 2 last night so I'm doing a UPS watch at the moment as it bounced through their distribution centers. I should hopefuly have it on Friday... maybe earlier perhaps!

Hopefuly Saturday will be a lot of fun getting it set up and (hopefuly) working!

Anyone with tips or recommendations out there, let me hear them!

Comments

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=307511

though doubtless other website difficulties have arisen since that thread - looking at it,but it gives you a feel.

I love the comment "now I know why weathercheck wants one" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭squonk

Any of you know of a cheap domain hosting solution? preferably free if I got somewhere to host the data but I don't need a heap of space so just a few pages would work. What do you guys use?

Also, I have a few questions about where best to place the sensors. I was going to put them on top of my garden shed. Have a 3 story block of apartments behind me (NW) and a small garden. House is SE direction. I'd try to avoid the chimney for accessibility reasons. Anyone got ideas?

I wouldnt put the thermometer on top of a shed as you'll get radiated heat there,though with enough cable the anemometer yes.
    Can you post a picture of your garden and the dimensions.

The block of flats will be a bit of a problem if it shelters the wind form a prevailing direction or the sun-NW should be ok though.
    It may also cause more than the usual variations in temperature.

TBH,I'd just centre the equipment in the garden and take it from there.Theres not a lot of wiggle room advice on location that can be given in the limitations.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Like BB said but also dont place the station over concrete/patio/slabs if placing in the garden.Grass is ideal and approx 4 feet off ground too. Just look at Mothman's temp difference last night at 1.2m or 4 feet.

I'll get a picture up later I hope. Not sure of the dimensions but the house is 6 years old so it's a fairly typical size foir a modern suburban garden, ie, you'd swing a cat but not a tiger :) Do these sensors need much maintenance over time? I'd consider putting them on the chimney with the telly ariel eventually if it'd be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

What type VP2 are you getting?. VP2 plus with the solar sensors? or the bog standard version.

VP2 standard (6152) with solar powerd sensors. The garden route might be good but should I consider getting the sensor mount platorm then? I have some garden fences either side of me so it'd need to be quite high off the ground to get away from being disturbed by those - hence my thought of putting it on a pole attached to the shed.

Should say also I got a mounting kit.... http://www.weatherbuffs.com/Davis_Mounting_Pole_Kit_Part_7717_p/d-7717.htm so I was going to attach this to the front of the shed as high as I could away from the roof.

Advertisement