Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my front tooth advice please

Options
  • 12-02-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

After an accident at the weekend I ended up with one front tooth missing. Problem is that this missing tooth was a crown done that I had put in 5 or 6 years ago as well as root canal treatment.

Went into a "respectable" establishment in the city centre and they looked at it and this is the treatment i am receiving.

Periapical Radiograph 15 euro
    Temporry filling(to cover the root) 45 euro
    Denture until procedure can take place 160 euro( To be done ata a denture clinic)
    Absectomy and RRF 450 euro
    Post & Core 200 euro
    Crown Porcelin Fused to metal 800 euro

Here's what i find very strange- This particular dentistry told me to go to the denture clinic this morning and when i arrived I told the denture guy my treatment plan and then he called them cowboys and that they're a rip off and he offered to put an implant in which he said is permanent for 400 euro less. Found this peculiar behaviour since it was the dentistry that told me where to go and now he's bad mouthing them.

Now i'm due to get the denture tomorrow. This seems like a waste of money if they're going to be getting rid of it in two weeks anyway for the treatment.

Whats more is that I was never offered the choice of an implant by the dentistry which now seems the most sensible option according to this guy. I'm very confused by it all.

Any people had similar experiences or can advise me on what to do. Feel like i'm being taken for a mug.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

speaking generally, an apicetomy is not always warranted if one has access 'orthgrade' which means through the top conventionally ,which sounds like the case here(although sometimes it is with complex roots with inaccesible canals). the other thing is that an apicectomy usually takes alot of bone away that is needed if an implant is to be placed sucessfully,and i personally would opt for an implant although opinions may vary. any of the front six teeth are the hardest 'teeth' to implant to create long term cosmetics sucessfully(especially so if you have a high smile line where you see the gums when you smile) which there are a number of reasons including thin bone/implant design/implant placemetn angle and position etc, i would recommend seeing a reputable experianced dentist to do this. if there is an infection from the root canal for which an apicetomy is warranted and the thin sliver of bone over the front of the root is gone, then you may/will need grafting with possiblity of a block bone graft harvested from somewhere else in your mouth. additionally you will need a temporary acid etch(glued to adajcent teeth) retained bridge while it is healing .i would not price shop on this. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hey,

I had a bone graft and 8 implants of which the treatment recently ended.
    It can be a lengthy process though it took nearly 2 years for me. but i think that was because i was probably a big case :)
    Its not a pain free procedure but the results are amazing. If i had to do again i would. The best part is once its done there there to stay:)

Good luck with whatever you chose to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd recommend the implant too, had one of my front ones done last year (took two years and two operations due to the damage) but would go through it all again in a heartbeat.

I've a perfectly normal looking front tooth again and dont have to worry about what i eat (within reason - sticks of rock are out!) unlike the bridge I had in place there before which broke every few months and I could only eat soft food in the main as a result (for fear of the damn thing snapping again).

Short term the imlant will probably be expensive but once it in, its in, and looks perfectly natural if done right.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement