Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zednik's throat slashed by skate

Options
  • 12-02-2008 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=378680
    Florida Panthers left wing Richard Zednik was recovering in hospital Monday after he was gashed in the neck by a skate blade, the National Hockey League team said.

"This was a remarkable injury in that the common carotid artery was severed almost completely in half but nothing else was really injured by this skate blade that went though his neck like a knife," doctor Richard Curl said.

"It's very difficult to say, but this morning he looks very good."

Zednik underwent surgery on Sunday night to repair the artery. Doctor Sonya Noor, the attending surgeon, likened the clean cut made by the skate blade to a stab wound, and said there were few complications during the surgery.

"Down the road, we should allow him to go back to regular activity in six to eight weeks," Noor predicted. "I think we'll leave him in the ICU today and move him to the floor in the next couple days."

Noor said Zednik will be discharged when he can get up and consume solid food.

Zednik was inadvertently slashed in the neck by the skate blade of teammate Olli Jokinen of Finland in a game against the Buffalo Sabres.

Zednik bled profusely but was able to skate toward his bench where he was met by the trainer and taken to the locker room.

Sabres team doctor Leslie Bisson said that Zednik initially did not realize he was hurt and remained conscious throughout.

"He actually asked me when he can go back to training," Noor said. "I said next season."

The game was delayed as blood was cleaned from the ice and both coaches waited to hear if the player was all right.

Only when they were informed Zednik was in stable condition and on his way to the hospital did they decide to continue with the game which was eventually won by Buffalo 5-3.

"I think we all were in shock, everybody was in shock," Jokinen said. "I've never seen anything like that. It's tough to focus on hockey after that. There's (9:56) to go in the hockey game. It was terrifying. We shouldn't have finished the hockey game."

The play brought back memories of when then-Buffalo netminder Clint Malarchuk had his jugular vein sliced in a 1989 game against the St. Louis Blues.

Zednik has 15 goals, 11 assists and 43 penalty minutes in 54 games this season.

He also represented his native Slovakia in the 2006 Winter Olympics, scoring one goal in six games.

This is the second skate cut incident for the National Hockey League in two days.

Veteran NHL linesman Pat Dapuzzo was injured when Philadelphia Flyer's Steve Downie inadvertently struck Dapuzzo in the face with his skate in a game between Philadelphia and New York on Saturday.

The 25-year veteran suffered cuts to his nose, cheek and jaw requiring dozens of stitches.

Pretty horrible stuff. The video attached to take link shows it and you can see the blood shooting out onto the ice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm in Canada at the minute and this was on the news earlier... It was pretty horrible to look at alright and i'm surprised they showed it!!! Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Then the very next day it happened to linesman Pat Dapuzzo at the beginning of the Flyers Rangers brawl, he needed ~60 stitches and had a broken nose to top it all off.

Still got up and tried to break up the brawl, with blood going everywhere.

Clint Malarchuk anyone?

PS - Downie, who injured Dapuzzo (not intentionally, obviously) is a little cheap-shot b*tch who can't throw fists when it comes to it...

Quick overview of the news conference:

~The artery was almost completely torn in half. If it was, it would have been much difficult for the doctor to locate and repair.

~His blood pressure never fell, and his pulse was about normal. He is stable, able to speak, is coherant, has no other significant damage.

~He will be in intensive care for another day, moved to a regular room in the next few days, and can be released once he is able to walk and keep his food down.

~He asked the doctor when he can get back to training, which I though was hillarious from him.

~He should be able to get back to the normal activities within 6-8 weeks.

Great news, good to hear he is ok and in good spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

aww man that was some nasty stuff

Richard Zednik felt a stabbing pain in his neck and knew he had to get to the bench - fast. Once there, the Florida Panthers right wing thought of his 4-year-old daughter, Ella.

"I remember thinking, 'Am I going to see her grow up?"' Zednik said.

• Advertisement

SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) -Dave Zenobi, the Florida Panthers' trainer who helped save right wing Richard Zednik's life, will be honored Thursday night for his efforts.

Zenobi will receive the ADT Good Sport Award, in recognition of his work in the moments immediately following Zednik's injury in Buffalo on Feb. 10. Zednik's neck was slashed by the skate of teammate Olli Jokinen, who fell headfirst to the ice.

Zenobi hurried to Zednik and pressed a towel to the player's gashed throat, trying to apply pressure and stop bleeding. Zednik's carotid artery was cut, surgeons that night repaired the damage, and he's now home in South Florida continuing to recover.

"Thanks to Dave Zenobi's brave and knowledgeable actions, one of the Panthers' most talented and beloved players is on the road to recovery and back with his family," ADT North America president John Koch said. "When confronted with a crisis situation, Dave rose to the occasion."

Zednik will also take place in the ceremony before the game against Pittsburgh.

"I am touched and humbled," Zenobi said.

Advertisement