Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibood - Acer Gps €150

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

looks like good value, it came out last year at about €300, has the navteq maps which have great coverage of ireland, and its bluetooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Acer P630 it is.

Hope it's alright as ordered one for a laff :D

il link any reviews i find here
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/handhelds/0,39030064,49288284,00.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

I ordered one of these on Tuesday too.
    Just got an email to say it has been shipped.

Reading about the device the maps seem to be Q2 2006 Navteq. It is running Copilot 6 premium. Anyone any idea if or how the maps can be updated to the latest version? Will it cost to get the updates?

Info on acer's website is non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You would need your head examined to buy this device, the maps are way out of date and for Eur 163 you can buy a Garmin Nuvi 250 with the whole of Europe from www.elara.ie with 2008 maps and the guarantee that Garmin will be around to sell you mapping updates in the future.

The Acer is a higher spec than the Nuvi 250, bigger screen, bluetooth handsfree etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the "2008" maps on the Garmin are actually Q2 2007 Navteq maps, so only 12 months newer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And in a years time they will be 24 months newer while Acer users are still trying to find someone to sell them an mapping update. You yourself said in an earlier posting that there's zero information on updating on the Acer website, caveat emptor.

The fact that the Acer maps are Navteq doesn't mean that you can buy updates from another GPS vendor who uses Navteq maps, if you ask Garmin for a mapping update for an Acer, their attitude will be 'if you like Navteq maps then buy a Garmin' so you will left high and dry. I concede the point you made about features, I'm just highlighting the importance of having an assured suply of map updates, otherwise you can reckon on a useful life of no more than two years after which you can chuck it in the bin.

The Acer just runs ALK's Copilot software, which powers a lot of different navigation devices.
    I believe that updates should be available through them. However I have no experience of this. My original post was really just inquiring if anyone had updated a device running copilot 6 premium, if this would cost and if so how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Anyone get theirs yet?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I had an Acer e310 (it ran Destinator) which came preloaded with Iberia but the other maps were freely available from sources other than Acer.

mine arrived yesterday,

havent got it yet (ie. arrived family house)

amn't going to open it and am going to try and send it back

from reading about, basically it runs copilot 6, which is old, you cannot update the navteq maps it seems

copilot 7 is out, expensive, but it doesnt run on the p630 so it's no use

sent the below email, see what happens

bad call buying it obviously but shure it's not the worst mistake in the world! :D:eek::D
    I ordered this product ( 1x Acer Widescreen Navigation with2 GB SD - EU Maps preinstalled at EUR 149.95) on the 14 Feb 2008.

It arrived today and is unopened.
    The maps are out of date are not capable of being updated. Basically the product is no longer supported and the software is out of date.

Under European Directive on Distance Selling (Directive 97/7/EC) I have the right to a cooling off period of 7 days from when I receive the goods.

How can I return the product and receive a refund?

• Advertisement

chump wrote: »
    mine arrived yesterday,

havent got it yet (ie. arrived family house)

amn't going to open it and am going to try and send it back

from reading about, basically it runs copilot 6, which is old, you cannot update the navteq maps it seems

copilot 7 is out, expensive, but it doesnt run on the p630 so it's no use

sent the below email, see what happens

bad call buying it obviously but shure it's not the worst mistake in the world! :D:eek::D

Hey Chump,
    Just wondering if you heard back from ibood yet? And are you sure that you can't install copilot 7 on it? Thanks.

no response yet

no response yet

Hmmm....they'd want to get their finger out! I emailed the crowd who do Copilot today to see what the story is with updating etc. No response yet - will post when there is.

From ibood's terms:

9. Cancellation of Purchase Agreement
    9.1 The buyer will be entitled to cancel or dissolve the purchase agreement during the
    seven working days following receipt of the item
    in question at the delivery address. In
    order to cancel or dissolve the agreement, the buyer must report the item at
    customerservice@ibood.com within seven working days of receipt of the item at the
    delivery address. Any direct costs incurred to return the item are to be borne by the buyer.
    If the purchase agreement is dissolved, the buyer will be entitled to a refund of the
    amount he/she paid iBood. Such amount will in any case be refunded within 30 days of
    the cancellation or dissolution.

Dear Mr. Magoo,

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry to hear that the product you ordered does not live up to your expectations. I would kindly like to ask you to send the product by recorded delivery to the following address:

Parcelroute Services Ltd.

Attn. iBOOD

Faraday Road

Aylesbury

HP19 8RY

As soon as the parcel arrives at our warehouse we will refund the money on the credit card account that has been used to pay for the order.
    Our apologies for the inconvenience.
    Kind regards,

I imagine wont get original postage charge back, nor postage to them back.

So that'll be 20-30quid down overall.

Probably worth sucking up the loss though.

so will i keep it or not? :)

I imagine wont get original postage charge back, nor postage to them back.

So that'll be 20-30quid down overall.

Probably worth sucking up the loss though.

so will i keep it or not? :)

Hmmmm.....I'm toying with the idea of keeping it (still wrapped at the moment). €150 isn't much more than an update for other devices!

Heard back from the software crowd:
    "Unfortunately there are currently no map upgrades or software updates available for the Acer CoPilot Live 6 software."

So I guess we're stuck in a 2006 timewarp! Think I'll keep it anyway - I don't even need a satnav FFS!

fkkit gonna keep it.

i have money to burn :D

Advertisement