Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1:1 Clay shooting tuition

Options
  • 11-02-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been toying with the idea of doing a bit of clay shooting as a bit of fun now and again (ISSF pistol is my current 'serious' discipline). I'd like to get it off to a good start so would like to spend a couple of hours with a coach. I've shot plenty of shotgun at home on the farm but never really did any clays or got any proper coaching. I was hoping to probably spend a half day with someone going through stance, hold, etc, as well as doing a decent amount of shooting.

Am I looking at Courtlough or Hilltop only, or do others do it? If you are that someone or know someone that does this, let me know.
    Also, rough prices for a half day would be good too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I've only shot at Courtlough once - great facility.

I usually shoot at Hilltop - great craic. Plenty of guys to show you how it's done and plenty of regular informal competition to hone the skills. Plenty of slagging to prevent you from getting a big head aswell.

What part of the world are you in? Might help people with the suggestions.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Bananaman wrote: »
    What part of the world are you in? Might help people with the suggestions.

B'Man

I'm in North Kildare, so would be looking primarily around the greater Dublin region

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

your best bet is courtlough ..and if your lucky enough to get billy kearns to give you hour of his time .he will pointed you in the right direction .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 expressway

jwshooter wrote: »
    your best bet is courtlough ..and if your lucky enough to get billy kearns to give you hour of his time .he will pointed you in the right direction .

I was up in Courtlough on Saturday shooting clays. I'm not sure who the chap was who gave the three of us tips, but I went from not being able to hit a barn door on my first 10 shots, to matching the others shooting, all thanks to his advice.

I'd gone clay shooting before, but had somehow gotten worse since the first time - the week before I'd had an absolute nightmare

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Depends if you want to shoot trap or sporting.
    Courtlough is great for sporting and there are a few coaches there. Peter Meade is one and his details are on http://www.icpsa.ie/coaching/coach_find/553.html

That list is growing by the day and I'll even be on it shortly!
    Check out www.trapcoach.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement