Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Date format

Options
  • 11-02-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Having a small problem with an MS Access app. On my laptop, the date appears in the British format of DD-MM-YYYY. But with the exact same app on the client PC the date appears in the format of MM-DD-YYYY.

I checked the client PC and Regional Settings in Control Panel has the Region set to English (Ireland). So what else effects the displaying of date format?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

irlrobins wrote: »
    Having a small problem with an MS Access app. On my laptop, the date appears in the British format of DD-MM-YYYY. But with the exact same app on the client PC the date appears in the format of MM-DD-YYYY.

I checked the client PC and Regional Settings in Control Panel has the Region set to English (Ireland). So what else effects the displaying of date format?

I think there's some Microsofty option in Excel/Access where if you right-click on the top of the column, select properties and a whole set of options comes up, including number formatting. Make sure you have the rows you want formatted selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

irlrobins wrote: »

what OS are you using ?

if you do
    msgbox now()
    what comes up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

tiptap wrote: »
    what OS are you using ?

if you do
    msgbox now()
    what comes up ?
    Both machines are XP. On my PC I get "11/02/2008 15:14:10". I'll have to get access to client's machine later to see what happens on that.

Has to be something on the client's PC as the code is identical between the two.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Access is a pain when it comes to date formatting. IIRC it stores all dates internally in mm-dd-yyyy. I think the recommended practice is to always let it store dates in that format and convert them yourself as necessary.

edit: I've spent many fruitless hours trying to chase down why an ASP app using an access db would have correct date formatting on one machine but not on another with no success. The only thing I could do was the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

Hi,
    Have a look again at the regional settings. It should be defaulted to "English (Ireland)". Then click on "Customize", this'll show how your dates are displayed.

Your problem machine is probably defaulted to "English (United Sates)".

FYI Just had a play with mine and the USA setting causes the same date issue. Leave an Access Report open and as you change the date settings any date formats displayed will change in real time, so you'll know if the above solves your problem instantly.

Hope this helps.

PS Attached is just a PDF of the Regional setting screen shot.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, I'll examine the client's PC later and test those things out.

AccessQuery had the solution. Despite all the Regional Settings being set to Ireland somehow the short date format was changed to mm/dd/yy. Changed it to dd/mm/yy and all gravy now. Thanks for the help guys.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had a similar situation recently. I had developed an app for a client which kept reverting to US format. Over the phone (tried remote connection but their end was too slow), I got them to check the regional settings and it was indeed Irish Locale.
    I eventually had to call out and as it turned out, they had moved the system to a citrix server which (despite their IS initially insisting it was UK format), was running a US locale!
    Moral: never trust what someone says - always check for yourself.

Advertisement