Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get started

Options
  • 11-02-2008 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hey, Looking to get started at a bit of bedroom DJing.

Im looking to get a digital mixer and am thinking about either the

NUMARK TOTAL CONTROL

or

BEHRINGER BCD-3000.

2 questions....
    First and foremost, am i wise to be taking the digital route, seems like a good choice for starting?

Secondly, Which one of the 2 mentioned would you recommend.

Finally, im a complete noob at all this so corect me if ye think im making a big mistake and buying the completely wrong stuff :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Shane

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Tough one, depends on personal preference really. Total Control needs a sound card, BCD3000 has one build in, but not the best quality. I had the BCD200 and it was 'just ok' but I believe the 3000 is better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I own the BCD3000 and for what I use it for (bedroom DJ also!) it fits the bill perfectly. However:

1. Yes, the build quality is poor, very cheap feel to it...but hey, it is cheap!

2. Pay no attention when they say you can scratch on it, it is useless for scratching, totally useless. It doesn't bother me because I have no interest in scratching and just use the jog wheels for moving around a track and cueing etc.

3. Setup can be tricky! It took me a good bit of time to set it up properly to ensure i could hear my mix and hear whatever was being played thru the headphones. Also the manual aint too good but there are plenty of forums for the BCD3000 online.

Good Things:

1. It is nice and cheap. (got mine on Thomann.de)

2. As mentioned already, it comes with a soundcard built in...messin with external soundcards.

3. It comes with Traktor 3LE which is grand for starting out in the bedroom. You will be able to upgrade to the fully fledged version if you wish at a discounted price once you register your software.

So to summarise, I like my BCD3000 for what it is and for the little expense I had to endure so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

ok i think ill go for the 3000, unless someone knows of a cheap but cheerful soundcard?

Also can anyone recommend a nice pair of headphones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Anyone?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not sure about soundcards

Sennheiser make great headphones. I bought a pair oh EH2000's years ago - not specifically DJ headphones, but I love them, out of many other I have used I think they are brilliant, and they were not that expensive

What's your budget?

• Advertisement

I would stay away from Behringer.

Have the 2000's myself, only ever used it as a midi controller as I have an Maudio 410 and Terratec 24fw soundcards.

On one occasion when I hadn't my soundcards I hooked up the 2000 and used it's onboard audio.

I was fuming, the quality is sh!te. Now this was tested on a Pair off Maudio BX8's monitors.

Behringer in the end, you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't recommend you to play out with it if its like the 2000, which I say it is, cause there is a fair amount off improvement to be had.

There are load off affordable external soundcards out there, and this would be better option.

You get what you pay for in the end. And soundcards can be got from pittins to over 3000's bucks.

Try looking here for soundcards
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_interfaces.html ,

And if you have a couple off bucks left over, I would get the Maudio X session pro which is over a ton, I know there's no jog wheel, though at least in the future you can upgrade.

NoDrama, the BCD3000 is an improvement on the 2000 but yes, it is still far fom perfect but for a bedroom DJ (like myself) I find it to be grand. It is reliable and is great fun...don't get me wrong, I would never use this for a gig to more than a handful of close friends...forget about using this in a venue or anything because yes, knowing Murphy's law it will crash or just stop working!

But the OP is looking for something to get started with and maybe is eager to keep the expense to a minimum.

Noted Man!

Just I have had some terrible experiences using their gear.

Just for the love off music, I think sound should be the most important thing here to get right. Midi controllers then.

NoDrama wrote: »
    Noted Man!

Just I have had some terrible experiences using their gear.

Just for the love off music, I think sound should be the most important thing here to get right. Midi controllers then.

I agree 100%, and yes as you say, the Behringer is poor for sound quality. How I wish I had some CDJs :)

I agree 100%, and yes as you say, the Behringer is poor for sound quality. How I wish I had some CDJs :)

I'm wishing also.
    I ordered 400's there over 3 weeks ago and no sign off em yet!:(

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »
    I'm wishing also.
    I ordered 400's there over 3 weeks ago and no sign off em yet!:(

nice, where did you order from?

I also had the BCD2000 and although at the time i thought it was brilliant and great fun, compared to real gear the quality is crap - but perhaps it is improved in the 3000.

My advice: if you save/stretch your money and get the M-Audio Torq Xponent, you will definitely not regret it.
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqXponent-main.html

€598 in Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_torq_xponent.htm

nice, where did you order from?

HTFR, They were the only ones at the time that indicated on their website that they were in stock.

When there was no sign off any shipment I was told that there were awaiting a delivery, ah I only go mad thinking about it, as I never really shop there, only for small stuff like there vinyl looking blank cd's and the like.

Usually Thoman, Turnkey, Musik, Dolphin, hell even ebay, I got a BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i from the states there yesterday, it took one week to deliver.

Zascar wrote: »
    I also had the BCD2000 and although at the time i thought it was brilliant and great fun, compared to real gear the quality is crap - but perhaps it is improved in the 3000.

My advice: if you save/stretch your money and get the M-Audio Torq Xponent, you will definitely not regret it.

I've never used torq, what's it like?
    I use Traktor myself (and I'll be a beta tester for next version) and Serato, compared to those, if you have used those, what do you think?

Please don't say it's great, as I have no will power when it comes to buying audio gear, I'm like a woman who becomes obsessed in a shoe shop, and I need to stop.

I've ordered a KontrolDJ500 there yesterday and my next purchase will be an RME400.

Zascar wrote: »

Does anyone know much about the new iDJ2? I don't have an iPod but it works with standard external hard drives also (via USB). I think these hard drive mixers seem to be an attractive alternative to midi controllers because you eliminate the need for a PC/laptop because I feel that is where midi controllers fall down, too much dependencies on the computer and if it crashes or something similar then you are in big trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

how do all .sorry time to wreck the heads here .. iv been doing a few house sessions on my laptop with virtual dj a ****y little mixer that came with it a 5.1 sound card and logitech 5.1 surround speakers .any way after getting good fed back from the houses iv done iv been asked to do bigger sessions and want to up the ante on my sound .
    can anybody tell me how to go about getting hooked up to a half decent amp and some speakers through the current soft ware that im using if its even possible ? the budget i have is around 500 euro was thinking of going to malpin for some help but was told there not great .
    sorry for wrecking the heads with this novice **** but we all have to start somewere .
    any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Thomann do some Active speakers (have an amp build in, no need for external power source) - they are called "The Box" and aparently they are very good, and fantastic value.

Check them out here: http://www.thomann.de/ie/cat.html?gf=active_loudspeakers_fr&oa=pra

Advertisement