Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for GPS system with Voice Navigation?

Options
  • 09-02-2008 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I can't seem to spot this being covered elsewhere in the forum, but apologies if I missed it.

I'm looking at getting a GPS system that has voice navigation and when I say best option, I probably do mean cheapest. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You haven't said if by 'voice navigation' you mean that the unit tells you audibly what to do (e.g. 'turn left in 200 metres') or that you want to be able to give the unit commands by voice instead of touching buttons on the screen. Most car units tell you by synthesised voice what to do on the basis that throwing the instructions up on the screen alone would be distracting and dangerous.

If it's the latter then you're looking at the very high end of the spectrum so you can forget about anything cheap. According to a recent review on CNET the Magellan Maestro 420, Tom Tom Go 920 anfd Garmin Nuvi 880 will accept voice commands from the user, they are all relatively new models and in fact none of them is for sale yet on Expansys, nor reviewed in gpsmagazine.com...

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/buyers_guide.php

I have played with voice recognition software on PCs for the past 10 years and it is a very frustrating expererience plus with the massive variability in quality of Irish roads the unit would be very hard pressed to understand what you're saying. It looks great on James Bond movies but believe me the reality is way different and if I was you I'd steer clear of this technology as you'll probably never get it to work to your satisfaction.

Advertisement