Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i get a pink or green dyed goldfish ?

Options
  • 09-02-2008 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

lucozader wrote: »
    thanks a lot
    i think its a solution you put in the fish im not really sure?all i know thres fish food to add to colour them or the inhuman way is injection i think its illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why would you want a dyed goldfish?? If you want pretty bright fish go for tropical or marine! Do fish in the wild say hmmmmmmmm why not get some pink dye so I looks hot???

Seems the same to me as folks who dye dogs! SAD SAD SAD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Dying a fish is extremely cruel and will most likely kill it.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/campaign.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

thanks a lot

Man any decent pet shop would'nt stock them, It's so so wrong!

Oh you opened up a can of worms with that one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Only a muppet or someone that hasn't got a clue about fishkeeping would buy a dyed fish. Any petshop worth there salt wouldn't sell them. It is an inhumane practice. Here is some information I have compiled about Dyed Fish.

What are dyed fish?
    Dyed fish are aquarium fish that have been unnaturally dyed with an artificial colour to make them look more appealing to the buyer. Commonly they include Corydoras, Glassfish, Parrotfish, Tetras, Gouramis and some other large cichlids. In Ireland the most commonly available are Dyed Parrotfish, Glassfish and Tetras.

How are they dyed?
    The process of dyeing the fish is vastly contested however there are 3 common practices known in the hobby:
    1.Injection of dyes using a syringe/hypodermic needle
    2.Tattooing of the fish using a laser.
    3.Dipping of fish in a dyed solution.
    N.B Fish can be fed colour enhancing food and can also be genetically modified to produce new colour strains

Why are many aquarists against the practice?
    This practice is condemned by many in the hobby as it is felt that it is unnecessary, cruel, leads the fish prone to illness and infection and the high mortality rate due to the method of dyeing.

Illnesses associated to dyed fish:
    Being dyed is a stressful and painful process for the fish. Depending on the process used it can lead to open wounds being left on the body of the fish. Dirty needles being used on multiple fish considerably adds to the risk of disease or infection. These diseases are known to spread quicker and easier in an already weakened fish.

Mortality of dyed fish:
    The mortality rate of dyed fish is another contested issue. I will not type any random high percentage figure but I will say that the process itself undoubtedly kills many fish and the associated illness from the process would lead us to believe that the mortality rate is high.

The Injection Method
    This article is focussed mainly on the injection method as this is the most common dyeing process.
    Disco Fish first entered the hobby in the 1980’s. The fish keeping public were unaware how a glassfish (Parambassis ranga) could have so many different colours. It was apparent that they had been artificially coloured.
    Dr Stan MacMahon and Dr Peter Burgess set about finding out. They sedated some glassfish and examined the areas where the dye had been applied. Under a microscope they found that the dye was not merely painted on the outside of the fish but it was under the epidermis. Given the location of the dyes and the patterns involved it lead them to believe that the fish must have been injected a number of times to achieve the end result. Considering the relative size of an epidermic needle to such a small fish and coupled with the increasing scientific evidence that fish can indeed feel pain it must be a terrible experience for the fish.

Who is dyeing the fish and why?
    The fish are generally imported from large fish farms in Southeast Asia. They are still widely available. They are dyed purely because of supply and demand. There is clearly a market for them as shops knowingly/unknowingly buy them in and sell them on for high prices all over the world.

What can we do about this practice?
    Simply do not buy dyed fish. If you are in a shop that sells them, approach the manager and ask them not to stock them. Refuse to give the shop any of your business until they stop selling dyed fish.
    Name and shame them, word of mouth is a strong thing. Let people know who is stocking dyed fish. Shame them into not selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Dying a fish is extremely cruel and will most likely kill it.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/campaign.php

+1 dont do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

The thought of this is disgusting. A fish (or any pet) is an animal, not a fashion accessory. If you want a pink fish buy one that's naturally pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

This thread has just made me feel sick. Thats the most unnatural thing I've ever heard of.:mad:

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Only a muppet or someone that hasn't got a clue about fishkeeping would buy a dyed fish. Any petshop worth there salt wouldn't sell them. It is an inhumane practice. Here is some information I have compiled about Dyed Fish.

What are dyed fish?
    Dyed fish are aquarium fish that have been unnaturally dyed with an artificial colour to make them look more appealing to the buyer. Commonly they include Corydoras, Glassfish, Parrotfish, Tetras, Gouramis and some other large cichlids. In Ireland the most commonly available are Dyed Parrotfish, Glassfish and Tetras.

How are they dyed?
    The process of dyeing the fish is vastly contested however there are 3 common practices known in the hobby:
    1.Injection of dyes using a syringe/hypodermic needle
    2.Tattooing of the fish using a laser.
    3.Dipping of fish in a dyed solution.
    N.B Fish can be fed colour enhancing food and can also be genetically modified to produce new colour strains

Why are many aquarists against the practice?
    This practice is condemned by many in the hobby as it is felt that it is unnecessary, cruel, leads the fish prone to illness and infection and the high mortality rate due to the method of dyeing.

Illnesses associated to dyed fish:
    Being dyed is a stressful and painful process for the fish. Depending on the process used it can lead to open wounds being left on the body of the fish. Dirty needles being used on multiple fish considerably adds to the risk of disease or infection. These diseases are known to spread quicker and easier in an already weakened fish.

Mortality of dyed fish:
    The mortality rate of dyed fish is another contested issue. I will not type any random high percentage figure but I will say that the process itself undoubtedly kills many fish and the associated illness from the process would lead us to believe that the mortality rate is high.

The Injection Method
    This article is focussed mainly on the injection method as this is the most common dyeing process.
    Disco Fish first entered the hobby in the 1980’s. The fish keeping public were unaware how a glassfish (Parambassis ranga) could have so many different colours. It was apparent that they had been artificially coloured.
    Dr Stan MacMahon and Dr Peter Burgess set about finding out. They sedated some glassfish and examined the areas where the dye had been applied. Under a microscope they found that the dye was not merely painted on the outside of the fish but it was under the epidermis. Given the location of the dyes and the patterns involved it lead them to believe that the fish must have been injected a number of times to achieve the end result. Considering the relative size of an epidermic needle to such a small fish and coupled with the increasing scientific evidence that fish can indeed feel pain it must be a terrible experience for the fish.

Who is dyeing the fish and why?
    The fish are generally imported from large fish farms in Southeast Asia. They are still widely available. They are dyed purely because of supply and demand. There is clearly a market for them as shops knowingly/unknowingly buy them in and sell them on for high prices all over the world.

What can we do about this practice?
    Simply do not buy dyed fish. If you are in a shop that sells them, approach the manager and ask them not to stock them. Refuse to give the shop any of your business until they stop selling dyed fish.
    Name and shame them, word of mouth is a strong thing. Let people know who is stocking dyed fish. Shame them into not selling them.
    great edit fishy as now we understand why its inhumane to do do such things id vote no to dyeing of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

No problem, it's all about awareness. There are so many people out there buying them and they have not got a clue how they were dyed or worse still don't even know they are dyed.

This might sound like a stupid question but how do you know what fish are dyed. I doubt the pet shop people would tell the truth if you asked.
    I'm mad paranoid now that I have some in my tank!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

This might sound like a stupid question but how do you know what fish are dyed. I doubt the pet shop people would tell the truth if you asked.
    I'm mad paranoid now that I have some in my tank!!

What fish do you have?

LuckyStar wrote: »
    What fish do you have?

I have neon tetras, black widows, a plec, 2 clown roach, guppies, a little yellow fella (cant remember the name) and 3 that look like neon tetras but they have a black line through them instead.

I have neon tetras, black widows, a plec, 2 clown roach, guppies, a little yellow fella (cant remember the name) and 3 that look like neon tetras but they have a black line through them instead.

Chances are there not dyed mate, they all sound pretty normal to me, the black ones you describe could be any one of a number of small tetra's who are all naturally that colour. Black neon tetras is most likely. Don't worry too much about it, a dyed fish can be quite obvious as they are usually very unusual or brightly coloured. Parrot Cichlids (Frankenstein fish!) are the most common dyed fish sold here, although a number of guppies and Tetra's are also dyed. If your fish came from any of the main suppliers/Wholesalers here or in the UK the there is little chance that they are dyed as this practice is frowned upon by most large fish wholesalers. I've been offered to buy in Tattoo'ed Parrot Cichlids before and I refused. I don't even like "Normal" Parrot Cichlids.

This practice is not exclusive amongsth fish, The Dyeing of Caged Birds such as Canaries has been going on for a very long time.

PS: A pet shop is obligated to tell you whether a fish is dyed or not if you ask them.

Its good to know my fellas arent dyed. I'd freak if I found out I'd accidentally bought some.
    Canaries too? People are arseholes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

thanks a lot

Buy a normal coloured one and paint it

Oh, and is it possible that Lucozader is a troll? He/she's the same person who recommending markets as an excellent place to buy animals

i have 2 parrot fish for about 3 months now and when i brought them all the parrot fish are orange i wouldnt dream of dyeing or changeing my fish as the orange colour is a lovely natrual colour.If they where different colour like black or blue god it would look like horrible monster.I wonder if there is fish shows i presume the judges wouldnt like to hear the fishes that they are dyed they'll get banned!

davey180 wrote: »
    i have 2 parrot fish for about 3 months now and when i brought them all the parrot fish are orange i wouldnt dream of dyeing or changeing my fish as the orange colour is a lovely natrual colour.If they where different colour like black or blue god it would look like horrible monster.I wonder if there is fish shows i presume the judges wouldnt like to hear the fishes that they are dyed they'll get banned!

Parrot fish are still a man made fish created by gene splicing. Sorry to tell you...

• Advertisement

Jimkel wrote: »
    Parrot fish are still a man made fish created by gene splicing. Sorry to tell you...
    i know that but we are talking about dyeing fish not dna of fishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

people actually tattoo fish? really??

tbh wrote: »
    people actually tattoo fish? really??

yes you can get a skull , or a heart with a dagger going through it, or my favorite , an Anchor !! :P

To be honest i have never seen this be done in Ireland but if it does happen there should be a name and shame. The other things with dogs and that i dont mind as its not toxic and washes out. Although i wouldnt do it myself. I havnt heard about doing it with food at all except in nature with flamingos turning pink from the shrimp that they eat ?

My king charles dyed herself. She ate a red lipstick and looked like a clown for about a week. Very funny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kets

Why would you need to dye goldfish? Easily, you can get both colors of goldfish. (Pink = Lack of pigment in scales, Green - Wild-Type coloring)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

in my opinion we shouldn buy or sell dyed fish ever
    and wouldn go near a shop that does

dbrock wrote: »
    in my opinion we shouldn buy or sell dyed fish ever
    and wouldn go near a shop that does
    yep your right mate!

Advertisement