Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing hair long is it worth it?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

never really grown my hair that long since i was a kid,by long i mean about liam gallagher length,always had the old 2 on the sides and that lark,having said that i have tried letting my hair grow but i feel it reaches a stage not too long not too short and looks kinda sh/t and i dont have the patience for it, oh also i grow a very pathetic beard so id be worried id look like frodo bagins with a bit of long hair :D
    having said that is it worth giving a go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

No i wouldn't go for it if I were you. Brad Pitt gets away with the scruffy look but that's about it in my book. I think that sort of hairstyle (liam gallagher and longer) just looks dirty. A clean cut hair style always looks best. Having it spiked is an extra bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭DonnaDarko

my friend is currently growing his out. its at the not long but not short stage and everyones calling him an emo. he doesnt care though :) do what ya want its your hair. if you think it will look good then go for it,even if it doesnt ya can shave/cut it off. personally i think long hair on men is nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'm the same

Wanna let it grow long, but maintenance is a pain the the arse!

If u want to tidy it up, but keep the length, ask the barbers to thin it out around the sides, and tidy it up up at the back, and your fringe

that way you'll keep the length but it'll look shorter and be easier to manage

last time i had my hair thinned it looked like they did nothin, but when i washed it out there was loads of hair

Go for it, it'll always wreck yer head if ye dont do it, and u can always cut it!

i'd lose the beard tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm thinking about growing my hair out too, i actually came to this section to start a thread asking for advice, i'm actually not too sure on how it's going to pan out but i'm gonna give it a go anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'm a guy with hair down past my shoulders. If you wanna grow it out, go for it, but just be warned that it takes a lot longer than you might think it does. It took me four years without a snip (bar one fcuk up, details below) to the length it is now. About an inch a month is a good rule of thumb I think.

It takes a while to get through the stage of it looking like sh1t and there being nothing you can do with it, over a year in my case, so be ready to look like a hobo for a bit.

Someone else mentioned getting your hair thinned. DON'T. I got mine thinned about two years after starting to grow it and they made a dog's of it. I had to go to another stylist to get it evened out and they told me if I want it to grow then just leave it alone and don't mess about with it with it doesn't make it grow faster either apparently, but other people will swear that it does.

If you wanna grow it just be patient and leave it alone, and be ready for a hell of a lot of grief from people you future long-haired hippy! :D

• Advertisement

I don't want to have my hair too long, something a bit indie looking, so do you think that it could be better getting it thinned out for that style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Ah right, if that's the look you're going for then grow it out a bit and then take a trip to a stylist and tell them what you want (or bring a picture, I know it sounds stupid but that way you can be sure they know what you want) and they will help you out. Thinning it out and stuff at that length should be alright though.

Quick tip, don't go to a barbers to get your hair styled/thinned. Barbers are razor-jockies. If you want a dry cut or your head shaved, go to a barber. If you actually want your hair styled, go to a hair-dressers. Costs a bit more, but they know what they're doing at that kind of stuff far more than the average barber

There's actually a chap that comes to my house to do my sisters hair and he does a great job so i'm gonna ask him about it, cheers for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

dont do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

If you do start growing your hair long, prepare for about a years worth of mostly unmanageable, messy hair.

You will also want to read up on taking proper care of your hair, because if you wash too much or with a shampoo which is too harsh, then you will end up damaging your hair before it has much of a chance to grow, which will mean you need to trim more often and thus it will take more time to grow your hair (the sooner you start taking care of this the better).

Here is a good site with loads of information about growing your hair and taking care of it properly:
    www.longhaircommunity.com (seems to be down at the moment, but should be back up later)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I have the lenght of hair your talking about and I'd say don't do it, it's just effort really.

All coming off soon enough, good riddence to longish hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It takes ages to grow any length on your hair. You're looking at the guts of a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

All lads are not the same. Some look grand with long hair, others short or inbetween. Caring for it is important if long, and if that's too much bother, then keep it shorter.

long hair doesn't really require any more effort than short imo. often less hassle as you don't have to gel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

All lads are not the same. Some look grand with long hair, others short or inbetween. Caring for it is important if long, and if that's too much bother, then keep it shorter.

Yes, I tie back my glorious ash blond mane with a rawhide strip, and synergise it each and every morning with a light sprinkling of rosewater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Sangre wrote: »
    long hair doesn't really require any more effort than short imo. often less hassle as you don't have to gel it.

Or wash it as it seems apparent with 90% of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

when I grew my hair long, I got the fro look, complete with curly hair and everything. The longer it got, the more people started to tell me to cut my hair, especially the skobes (fags) So the more they said it, the more I wanted to keep it long. I eventually cut it when I got a job. I still have pictures though. But to answer your original question, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I think long hair and tracksuits are the two most unattractive things men can have.

at the moment i have both.

can i call you some time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

u dont really have long hair sangre, u have trendy hair. plus i've never seen u in a tracksuit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

i love long hair on boys i think its just HOTTTT i really do im a sucker for it. if you think it would suit you and you have the patience for the growing then wait you can always just cut it all off if you hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

scruff321 wrote: »
    id be worried id look like frodo bagins with a bit of long hair :D

Alot of people think Frodo's hot and besides it could be worse at least you wont look like an orc.

lizzyvera wrote: »
    I think long hair and tracksuits are the two most unattractive things men can have.

Tut tut. Has you never seen the maguire brothers from shameless? hot stuff.

Advertisement