Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules Talks

Options
  • 08-02-2008 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0207/gaa.html
    GAA and AFL meet to discuss Rules resumption
    Thursday, 7 February 2008 20:17
    Representations of the Gaelic Athletic Association and the Australian Football League met in Dubai on Wednesday and Thursday of this week to discuss a possible resumption of the International Rules Series.

The GAA was represented by president Nickey Brennan, Pat Daly and Anthony Tohill, while the AFL was represented by chief executive Andrew Demetriou and Kevin Sheehan.

The meeting focused largely on the issue of playing rules, including disciplinary issues, and the overall organisation and regulation of any new series.

Both parties will now report back to their respective controlling bodies.

The next meetings of Coiste Bainistí/Ard Chomhairle are scheduled for the 15/16 February, while the next scheduled AFL Board meeting is set for the 17 February.

No further statement will be issued on this matter until both controlling bodies have considered the reports from Nickey Brennan (GAA) and Andrew Demetriou (AFL).

Fantastic news. Hopefully they can get it all sorted and start up again next year. Would love to watch the Aussies kick some arse in Subiaco Oval! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah good news.

Also, I've seen talk of a "goodwill" match between Collingwood and The Dubs. It would seem to be Eddie Maguire that is behind it, and he has been quoted in the stories. (I don't have a paper to hand right now though).

Seemingly it wouldn't be a "international rules" match, but either a Gaelic Football, OR an Aussie Rules game.

He apparently is very behind this idea of re-introducing the international series, and sees a visit to Ireland by his team as the first step in starting it up again.

He was very disparaging about Sheedy and the nationalisitc tendencies he instilled in his teams, andhe said he would like to see a more skillful Aissue team competing, rather than a bruising and bashing team (although that probably means no Barry Hall, BOO! :D).

All in all, if someone like Maguire does want to see this back, I think it will be a runner.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I love Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football, but I'm not a fan of International Rules. I think both codes would be better off promoting their own game internationally rather than playing a bizarre hybrid game.

For what its worth I don't think you'll ever take the OTT rough stuff out of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0428/internationalrules.html
    International Rules talks continue

Monday, 28 April 2008 22:48

Australian Football League bosses are meeting in Australia for last minute discussions over the staging of the International Rules series this October.

GAA President Nickey Brennan confirmed that the ball is now in the AFL's court over the future of the hybrid game and he expects communication from Aussie Rules Chief Executive Andrew Demetriou within the next 48 hours on the issue.

'The AFL have a board meeting today and we expect some notice from that,' Brennan said at today's Cadbury's All-Ireland Under-21 football final press conference.

'We have sent word to Andrew that we are under pressure to get this wrapped up because there are other things at the end of the year that we need to formalise.'

Among the pressing issues for the GAA for next autumn are the International Rules series and the All-Stars tour.

Brennan stated that it was the logistics of staging the games which has become the major issue, with cricket and rugby league hitting peak season around the proposed dates for the series in late October.

'It has been held up because the AFL are trying to finalise venues because there are both cricket and rugby league events taking place that are impacting on the availability of venues.

'We have the dates being talked about in late October, but what I would like to do is to confirm the venues at this stage and then it would be all systems go,' he added.

Good news. Hopefully talks over here go well and I'll be booking myself a flight to Sydney/Melbourne for late October!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Yeah, I'm still a bit undecided by it all. The last series left a sour taste for me, and not because of the aussies 'roughhouse' tactics, it was because of the Irish lads starting fights and then whinging about it all. I was at the game in Croke Park (and Galway too) and saw on 2 separate occasions where an Irish player started hitting his opponant. And Ryan O Keefe got a headbutt off the ball from Sean Marty Lockhart and suffered a broken nose, and Shane Ryan went through the back of an Aussie player with his knees, but yet it was us doing all the complaining and threatening not to come out for the second quarter.

The year before in Australia was all on their part tho, and they won the series comfortably with a much more skillful team, but yet still had to hit our lads in dangerous tackles and then gloat about it (was actually at both games that year too in Subiaco and Telstra Dome).

I think our attitude has to change for it too. The Aussies adapted to the pace and quick ball, and they are naturally (well, professionally!) fit and strong anyway. Our lads cant compete with them in physicality, so why we persist in trying to outplay them at their strangths is beyond me. our lads dont know enough of the rules either, one huge problem for us is the tackle. Where the aussies will handpass the ball out of their posession to earn a free or get a tackler off them, our lads hold onto it, or hold onto the opposing player and concede frees.

http://news.theage.com.au/international-rules-set-to-return/20080429-29e8.html
    International Rules set to return

April 29, 2008 - 9:51PM

The AFL and the Irish GAA are set to revive the controversial International Rules series.

League football operations manager Adrian Anderson have confirmed Australia and Ireland would play at least one game in this country later this year, as part of the 150-year celebrations for the game of Australian Rules.

"You'll see International Rules played this year, the precise format ... (is) yet to be finalised," Anderson said on Fairfax Radio.

"But there is news in the pipeline and we're considering options as to whether it's two games or one."

The series was called off last year after Gaelic Athletic Association concerns about violent on-field incidents during the 2005 and `06 series.

On St Patrick's Day last month, the Irish counties voted for the series to resume.

That followed a meeting of AFL and GAA officials in Dubai during February.

One of the features of the revived series is expected to be ramped-up sanctions for on-field incidents.

Anderson said an Australian team would also visit Ireland next year, as part of the GAA's centenary celebrations.

He added Carlton full-forward Brendan Fevola, who was kicked off the 2006 Ireland tour for a drunken off-field indiscretion, would be eligible for next year's trip.

Meanwhile, Anderson explained why a suspended AFL player can be picked for the May 10 Hall Of Fame tribute match at the MCG.

West Coast midfielder Daniel Kerr, out for three matches after accepting his head-butting sanction, is likely to play for the Dream Team side despite the ban.

"We looked at it at length and we discussed it with a number of players," Anderson said.

"They made the point that if I'm out for three matches and that happens to coincide with this historic chance to play the best of the best, once-off ... why should I also miss what could be one of the games of the decade?"

At least one game to be played here this year. Great news! Hopefully they make it two though and have one here in Perth. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Hope it's in Melbourne so I don't have to go anywhere!!!

Selfish bastard! If it is in Melbourne I'm crashin at yours! :p

Deal, if I can use your couch for the second leg!!!

I can do better than that, I've an spare room in my apartment! Bed's as comfy as f*ck and the playstation's in there! :D

Jesus. Now I really do hope there's a leg in Perth!!!

• Advertisement

Oh, and there's a big swimming pool in the middle of the complex too. It'll just be getting warm again in late October as well!

Pfft. Pool Schmool. Everyone has a pool. I have a pool.

Fine stay in a hostel so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Pfft. Pool Schmool. Everyone has a pool. I have a pool.

Wish I had a bloody pool :(

That sounds a bit gross actually.

Some bad news today.....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0513/rules.html
    Rules series is in doubt again

Tuesday, 13 May 2008 17:43

The 2008 International Rules series, which is due to take place in Australia in November, is in doubt again after Australian officials requested that a one-off match be played this year.

And GAA director general Paraic Duffy has issued an ultimatum to AFL bosses that they must confirm dates and venues for the Tests within the next ten days, or the he will kill off any hope of the series going ahead this year.

'We would have hoped that by now we would be in a position to say that we are proceeding with the Series this October, but we are not in that position yet,' Duffy said on Tuesday.

'We agreed to resume the Series on the basis of a two-game Series.

'The AFL, some weeks ago, made soundings to us about the possibility of playing one game only - the reason being that they are having some difficulty because of the Rugby League World Cup and some grounds have also been committed to cricket in late October.

'They are having problems accessing some of the grounds that they wanted for a two-game Series and maybe some problems with their own calendar as well.'

And Duffy insisted that this is not news to the AFL board.

'We made it clear to them some weeks ago that we aren't interested in a one-game Series.

'We are not prepared to travel to Australia to play one match. It will have to be a two-game Series or there will be no Series. We made that quite clear to the AFL.'

Since the series was revived in 1998 after an absence of eight years, Ireland and Australia have played each other twice in each series.

It is understood that the majority of big match venues Down Under will host Rugby League World Cup matches around the same time, and the AFL are having difficulty tying down a second venue.

Following the ugly scenes that marred the second Test between Ireland and Australia in 2006, it was decided to 'park' the series and no Tests were played in 2007.

Hopefully they can make the two game series possible.

Bleedin' gah.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

hanton12 wrote: »
    The last series left a sour taste for me, and not because of the aussies 'roughhouse' tactics, it was because of the Irish lads starting fights and then whinging about it all. I was at the game in Croke Park (and Galway too) and saw on 2 separate occasions where an Irish player started hitting his opponant. And Ryan O Keefe got a headbutt off the ball from Sean Marty Lockhart and suffered a broken nose, and Shane Ryan went through the back of an Aussie player with his knees, but yet it was us doing all the complaining and threatening not to come out for the second quarter.

The year before in Australia was all on their part tho, and they won the series comfortably with a much more skillful team, but yet still had to hit our lads in dangerous tackles and then gloat about it (was actually at both games that year too in Subiaco and Telstra Dome).

I completely agree with you there... some of the whining by the Irish media was embarassing. Really annoyed me too to hear Sean Boylan complaining about his team being intimidated.:rolleyes:

I think I'd rather if the AFL sent two teams to play an exhibition, as they do in London. The international game doesn't really do either sport justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

By God one of the games better be in Perth......

• Advertisement

Awh, sweet as.

Better beat them muckers, is all I can say.

Dates confirmed, new thread started.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement