Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Entitlements

Options
  • 07-02-2008 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am currently employed as school taker and work long hours, and the job is physically quite demanding. I have just been diagnosed with a heart murmur and have been told I need time off work and need to take it easy.

I'm not the type to "take it easy" I love my job and I'm not one to sit around idle, I like to work and be kept busy but this news has scared me.

As a result of the heart murmur I get extremely tired and I'm lacking in energy, I also suffer from dizzy spells on a near daily basis.

At the minute I'm awaiting an appointment with a cardiologist to see just how serious things are. Since my last doctors appointment I've been thinking of quitting my job as I don't think I'm able for it anymore.

I'm 59 years old, and I was wondering if I would be entitled to disability if I could no longer keep up with the demands of my job?

I've always worked all my life and I have never claimed anything from welfare before so this is all new for me.

What are the current disability rates? Is there anything like a rental allowance I could avail of to help with mortgage costs?

Also, my wife does not work and is solely dependant on me, if I were to claim disability benefit would I be able to claim anything for her also, or can she claim anything herself as she doesn't work. It's just the two of us and one grown up child (over 18)

I know I should go into my local social welfare office but I'd like to get an idea of what's available out there first, or if you guys even think I'd be entitled to it first.

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi Jokerhigh,
    Here is a link for info on illness benefit; http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw119.html

From what you have said i would say that if your doctor feels you need to take time off from your job and will give you a medical certificate you shouldnt have any problems applying for illness benefit, (subject to stamps i think)

Im afraid i am a bit rusty on the subject as its been a few years since i was on that payment(used to be disability benefit)

Rates of payment for illness benefit
    http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw19/sw19_sect5.html#5.1

Sorry its not much info but i hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jokerhigh

Hi Chasm,

No not at all, you've been very helpful, thanks very much for the links, I'm going to check them out now!

I'll probably wait til I see my cardiologist and see what the situation is before I proceed any further however in case I'm wasting my time.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

That helped me too! Thanks Chasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If things are serious after the doctor's checkup then you should try for Disability Allowance. It has a lot more additional payments compared with Illness Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scitilop

jokerhigh,
    You would be entitled to an increase for your wife if you went onto DA (disability allowance), or perhaps if you have been paying an A stamp PRSI you would be entitled to receive the Illness Benefit (IB). Remember with the DA that it is means tested and any savings or investments that you might have over 20,000 will be seen as income. IB is stamps related and therefore not means tested -but you can only stay on for so long (rate is the same as DA) - check www.welfare.ie for further information.

If you do go onto DA, remember that you are entitled to work 20 hours per week in work that is seen as rehabilitative (more or less anything apart from what you are currently doing - or an easier version of your current job) or education, including Fas Community Employment Schemes. With these work options, you will be allowed to keep a portion of your DA.

Also with DA or IB, you are entitled to apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance through your local health clinic/centre that will help towards your mortgage while you are off work. Also, if you go onto DA or IB, apply for a medical card (if you don't have one already) - you are likely to be eligible and once you have it you keep it for 3 years.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement