Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you recommend archaeology?

• 06-02-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

well i really like archaeology and would like to do it but at this time would you recommend it, i still have my options to do anything and it'd be a few years yet until id actually start working but a) does it pay well, b) is there job oppurtunities here or abroad.

second thing, is it hard to get a degree to work as an archaeologist in say egypt

any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It's a great subject to study... but I am biased!

The pay in Ireland is not great starting out. You really need to get to supervisor level before you are taking home a decent wage. Saying that though, I love the work, never mind the pay!

Excavations have slowed down this year but will probably pick up again later in the year.

Trinity do a degree course in Classical archaeology, which covers Egyptology. I have no idea as to the work prospects in Egypt though...

Hope this was some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Classical Archaeology is really the domain of the British Universities with the exception of Trinity however as far as I know their course isnt as practical as that offered in UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I know it's not Egypt but I know a guy who really wanted to work in Crete (not sure when he made this decision). He got a degree in UCD, did a Masters in UCD on some aspect of Minoan archaeology and then did a post-grad degree in a university in Liverpool that had strong links to Crete. Afaik he's now working in Crete as a supervisor. As Grimes said , it's really the domain of the British and American universities. I'd get a good degree first and then look into specializing.

There is a lad in UCD Dr.Barry Malloy who digs in Crete quite often. Usually takes students from the school on workplacement. Its a great time to work in different sites and get a feel for what you like the most. Personally I dont think you can beat a deep midgie infested bog.

Grimes wrote: »
    There is a lad in UCD Dr.Barry Malloy who digs in Crete quite often. Usually takes students from the school on workplacement. Its a great time to work in different sites and get a feel for what you like the most. Personally I dont think you can beat a deep midgie infested bog.

Or an anthrax infected tanning pit!! :p Not to mention cess pits and latrines!!:eek:

• Advertisement

Or Roscommon :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

thanks for the responses guys, one last question is UCD the best college for archeology

Oman wrote: »
    thanks for the responses guys, one last question is UCD the best college for archeology

I would say yes but again, I am biased!! :p

Check out the courses available at all the Colleges and decide on the basis of which appeals most.

Just to let you know UCD is offering a new joint degree in Geology and Archaeology. Most of the geology and archaeology students at the moment would have jumped on it was it offered when we started. A science background is essential even if its not an official prerequisite. Trust me .

As boneless said, have a look around. Sligo, Galway and Cork all offer fantastic courses however its pretty much an honour to study under the expertise provided in every field of archaeology in UCD. If you are located in Dublin or closeby id say UCD would be your best option. There is also the option to go into Mode 1 (single honours archaeology) which means you dont have to take another major such as history ect. I study mode 1 and I take only archaeology subjects which makes life a hell of alot easier. Also get another tip is to get involved in the society as early as possible. Its a great place to make friends and to learn that extra bit more in the field with students and staff.

Hope that helps and stay away from Roscommon, Midgies, Anthrax and Cess Pits. Oh and hippies :p

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

You are incredibly biased! :D UCD heads think they're the best, while all the other archaeology depts around the country say it's an awful dept that produces biased people :P So there!

And I second Grimes' warning- stay away from the hippies!

• Advertisement

Fletch123 wrote: »
    You are incredibly biased! :D UCD heads think they're the best, while all the other archaeology depts around the country say it's an awful dept that produces biased people :P So there!

And I second Grimes' warning- stay away from the hippies!

:p I love you too... but I'm a hippy!! :D

you know who im talking about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

well i live in Galway so i'll check up the stuff in galway, theres no hippies here im sure

Oman wrote: »
    well i live in Galway so i'll check up the stuff in galway, theres no hippies here im sure

Lol... just Crusty anarchist types!! :p

At the risk of attracting the wrath of Grimes, I think Galway has a good teaching staff... nearly as good as UCD!!! :p

Seriously though, go with what suits you and all the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

go to galway great course and lecturerers

Advertisement