Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MM over BM spec ( hunter )

Options
  • 06-02-2008 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

So i started out as BM spec and leveled to 63 with it. I found in most instances i was still comming out top in terms of damage done. If other hunters were in the group i would always put 25/30% more damage on the meters then them. But one of my guild members has a Lower hunter then me ( mid 50's ) and he was saying he was critting 1800+ This confused me as he was pretty poorly specced for his lvl. And considering im in lvl 1 dungeon gear with sockets ( red + ap or + agi ) and i was pulling of 1200/1300max crit. So i went ahead and respecced to MM and ****ing jasus !!! I can now crit over 2800 !! Granted my pet is now a complete pussy, and i loose the 2% hp regen every second. But i can drop most mobs of my own lvl by the time the pet reaches them now. And in pvp its like playing Unreal tournament. Multishot killing multiple people at a time ! I just wish someone told me to spec like this earlier. Now in instances i am out dps'ing lvl 67 shamans.

Anyone think Hunters will end up being nerfed soon ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

can you linkage to your wow armory profile id be greatful.

Im starting my first alt character now he's a hunter (only level 6) so any info would be greatful.

Cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i have a hunter alt late 40's and hes totally mm specd and every instance i have done if sum1 has a damage meter i have been top.. mm ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I dunno if they will be nerfed or not, they can do some serious damage but I personally think there is bigger problems that need to be dealt with, such as the afk raped mess of Alterac valley. Though I'm sure there is many many players QQing about hunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

ive been going with around a 60% or so talents in bm and the rest in mm,,its supposed to be an arena/pvp build.. tought it was going ok until i read this :)

i think the bm is for sustained dps over a duration were as the mm would be for quick fights with alot more dps..i may end up reseting me talent tree when i get nearer to the top then if im losing in fights

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Levelling, BM spec imho. Having bigger crits is not as useful in PvE as having sustained dps where you have little downtime. On a PvE server, for levelling, there is no reason to go for MM over BM in terms of efficiency/speed. For raiding, PvP etc then it's more complicated. If you are planning on taking your time levelling and PvPing now and then, then MM might be worth a look.

'AL wrote:
    [EN;55071488']can you linkage to your wow armory profile id be greatful.

Im starting my first alt character now he's a hunter (only level 6) so any info would be greatful.

Cheers mate

Follow the first talent build, the BM one. It's fast and not very dependent on gear for levelling speed.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=98760050&sid=1
    Anti wrote: »
    Anyone think Hunters will end up being nerfed soon ?

The class has been a mess since beta tbh. Blizzard need to decide what they want the class to be and focus on it. The buff they gave to BM did push the class more towards their apparent goal of making it a pet class (which in PvE terms works well enough) but they still haven't managed to gel that to the PvP world they've created. A PvP hunter is not a pet dependent hunter (generally speaking). A PvE hunter can very much be. It's an awkward balancing act between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

strange that most of our guilds hunters are specced BM and end up on top of dps list.

I only specced MM because of the PVP, theres so many BM pvp hunters out there that it confuses people to meet a MM on BG :)

i have to admit, my pet struggles to hold agro as my crits are so high. i use ktm threat meter and i generally have to let him go in and take mobs until he has approx 800 or 900 threat generated before i can go in and pewpew! im using a scorpid i picked up in thanaris.. might swop it for a cat, havent used one yet. anyone know what an ideal pet for mm is, needs to be able to keep aggro, think the scorpid has -10% power but plus 10% armour. a more balanced pet might be better, like a bird

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Ideal pet for a marksman hunter is any pet that can hold some extra arrows for you as they are pretty much useless otherwise... failing that, any pet is as good as the next.

MM relies almost exclusively on their own damage with interruption/annoyance factor/and the little bit of extra dps from the pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

I got Humar the Pridelord, but as a your gear improves even on BM spec you need to hold back a bit

good point...

where can i pick up this ammo carryin pet?! hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have a lvl 70 hunter and im BM spec with a dash of MM. Have been BM for a long time now. First tryed it around lvl 50 and never looked back. Found it better for leveling and find it great when doing Kara, Gruul & Horic's ect.... In all my raids for the past 2 months i dont think i have not been in position 1 for Damage caused during the raid at the end of the night.
    But one of these days im going to go MM With a dash of survival.

As a pet i just use a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

'AL wrote:
    [EN;55071488']can you linkage to your wow armory profile id be greatful.

Cheers mate

Sure, here is my hunter. Armoury says its lvl 60 atm for somereason though...

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonglade&n=M%C3%A9ndez

Ivan wrote: »
    MM relies almost exclusively on their own damage with interruption/annoyance factor/and the little bit of extra dps from the pet.

MM also wants there to be a proper tank present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

has to be bM, nothing comes close whilst levelling!

sunzz wrote: »
    has to be bM, nothing comes close whilst levelling!

I dunno about that. For upto lvl 60 yeah possibly. I dont have anything to base it on as i did lvl to 63 as bm. But i find its much easier to lvl now doing huge dps. A Bear is the best aggro pet isnt it ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

nesf wrote: »
    MM also wants there to be a proper tank present.
    Very true, and decent tanks are becoming rarer and rarer... be warned!

A Bear is the best aggro pet isnt it ?

For groups or single targets? Single targets, cats or ravagers work well because they do so much damage they hold attention well. Multiple targets, either micromanage your pet or use a gorilla with thunderstomp (it doesn't that much aggro but at least it aggros everything in range).

Ideally you need to micro your pet as if it was an actual tank and keep aggro up on all the targets. Or, just be sensible and avoid drawing aggro off your pet by not using multishot and not overhealing the pet.

Ideally, if you're soloing you want to be BM in order to have enough tank that you're better able to keep aggro on the pet (and to spread the source of damage more evenly between hunter and pet). In a group with a dedicated (and competent) tank you don't have to worry so much about the big crits that MM gives you drawing aggro off your pet.

Bear's have ok dps, loads of health and will eat almost anything. They are excellent early pets because of this but in the endgame a pure dps pet is more viable.
    Ivan wrote: »
    Very true, and decent tanks are becoming rarer and rarer... be warned!

It's why BM has such a strong edge when levelling. The low population of under 60s on most servers forces people to solo a lot and the MM builds generally make it very hard to keep the aggro on the pet. Combine it with the mana efficency of a BM hunter and you've got a levelling machine. One of the hunter's biggest strengths in PvE is the ability to control aggro and keep it away from them. Going MM for solo PvE play doesn't play to this strength.

In a competent group setting, either regular 5 mans or raiding your pet no longer is the main tank and really you're now just a source of dps (ie now MM is more viable). Both have their place and ideally in a raid you want one of each in a group for TSA etc. This is where most of the **** ups with hunters come from, their role changes a lot in group play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Respecced my hunter last night and wish that I'd just kept it as it was now... Spirit bond was pretty damn handy

bit of info would be nice tman, respeccd from..to...

im full mm but gonna respec bm now, as soon as my car transfer is complete.been more than an hour now!! :(

tman wrote: »
    Respecced my hunter last night and wish that I'd just kept it as it was now... Spirit bond was pretty damn handy

I would bet from BM to MM

• Advertisement

BadCharlie wrote: »
    I would bet from BM to MM

Well it has to be from BM for spirit bond. And i dont know why anyone would choose survival as their main tallent set. So yeah BM to MM.

One thing that is pissing me of with hunters though is their lack of ability for the players to trap. I mean its not hard. Let the tank go in, as soon as he hits the primary target lash in arcane shot, walk backwards and drop a trap.

The ammount of hunters i see run in with weps to pull or use an arcane shot then a scorpid sting before the trap.... The muppets dont realise that scorpid sting will break the trap..

I've found the best way when makign groups to actually ask the hunter a few questions before joining, if he can answer them okay hes in. If not he gets ignored.

i havent seen spirit bond in the talent tree and didnt know whether it belonged to mm or bm.

respecced to bm last night, have to say, mana wise its much better and taking on multiple mobs is way easier. bm ftw i think

If you look at the left of your tallent tree you will see it there. Its pretty damn handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

copeyhagen wrote: »
    bit of info would be nice tman, respeccd from..to...

Sorry, I wasn't really looking for anybodys input on the matter, just wanted to whinge about something:o
    As has been said already, it was BM to MM (at level 64 at the mo)...
    Gonna go straight back to BM now anyway, it definitely seems to be the best choice for solo PVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

I used to pvp with a survival hunter, he was also decent in raids. Good damage and cc abilities. He wasn;t full survival though cos that really does suck :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    I used to pvp with a survival hunter, he was also decent in raids. Good damage and cc abilities. He wasn;t full survival though cos that really does suck :p
    pushing over 2k dps on teron gorefiend as Survival. Other 2 hunters are BM of course. Pretty much the highest numbers they've seen since they get so much benefit from EW. Full survival doesn't suck for raiding :P

http://wowwebstats.com/egjg25jxabxyi?s=9635-9806

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

A Bear is the best aggro pet isnt it ?

Not really no. The best pet type I've found for aggro is the Boar. Charge+Growl generates a huge amount of threat. Other than that, Cats are good due to the extra damage.

On topic: I've liked BM spec for a long time now.. in PVE it's a great spec. In PVP though you lose out in "spamming multishots into the enemy zerg" scenarios, you kick much ass in "ganker jumps you while you're grinding" scenarios so it's all good. :)

bm is soooo much better for elveling, i was mm and i liked it but bm rocks so much. i lvoe it so much that i ahve stopped leveling and left my huntard at 45, being top of every single bg (nearly) whether its wsg or ab at 45 is amazing.. wait till i hit 49. pvp on this toon is so much more fun than on my 70 warr.

Whats the best pvp pet ?

• Advertisement

im just using my 45 scorpid hunter i picked up in tanaris. last night in wsg, 2 other people had same pet, 1 other horde, one ally. not sure if they r a very good pvp pet but hes kickin ass for me since i went bm

Advertisement