Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Stations

Options
  • 06-02-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

Probably this has been mentioned before somewhere but I was thinking of getting a weather station. Initially I'd thought of going the whole hog and getting a VP2 but it's a lot of money to splash out on something I've no practical experience of owning so far so, for the interim, I was thiking of getting one of those Oregon Scientific ones for around £100 or so. Any recommendations? Not too strict on the price but I do want something reliable, easy on the maintanance and accurate enough. Anyone got a recommendation or own similar equipment they could tell me about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

squonk wrote: »
    Probably this has been mentioned before somewhere but I was thinking of getting a weather station. Initially I'd thought of going the whole hog and getting a VP2 but it's a lot of money to splash out on something I've no practical experience of owning so far so, for the interim, I was thiking of getting one of those Oregon Scientific ones for around £100 or so. Any recommendations? Not too strict on the price but I do want something reliable, easy on the maintanance and accurate enough. Anyone got a recommendation or own similar equipment they could tell me about?

I recommend this (Voin Barometer Black-first Pic):
    http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/electronic_barometers.html

It has a powerful sensitivity and accuracy. It reads air pressure every 8 seconds and detects minute changes up or down at 0.1mb.
    As well as this, it gives a 24hr trend graph that is updated every 2 mins. Quite cheap too..
    With the vantage pro, I would love one too but can't afford it just yet. Looks like a great piece of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭squonk

I noticed some stations do dew points temps as well. Anyone got a recommendation for a good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Definitely try and get one with dew point, I've found it far and away the most accurate indicator of snow or rain on the way (dp above -0.3°C 99% of the time is rain/very wet sleet)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭squonk

I was thinking about things last night and, from reading reviews, I've decided to save the cents for a bit and go for a VP2. I was looking at weatherbuffs.com last night and also at the Davis website. Weatherbuffs do a nice bundle with the VP2 and the datalogger which is almost $100 cheaper than buying both together. My problem is though that I've learned that the US VP2 uses a different wireless frequency than the UK model. Weatherbuffs seem only to have the US model in stock. I don't want to end up disrupting anything essential if it comes to that so I'm wondering if any of you have US spec VP2's and how they are working for you? I'm not mad about having my wireless feed from the station trounced by someone's wireless phone or something. Any concrete experiences out there? Also, any of you guys who have VP2's, how did you mount your sensors? Do I need to get any mounting plates along with my order?

Advertisement