Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - electrical certification

Options
  • 06-02-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

wonder can anyone advise me on what to do here!
    Basically, we are now at 2nd fix electric stage in new build.
    We had our light requirements listed out, and the wiring is in for all, however we have not bought all the lights for the house yet.
    Builder rang there now, to say that electrician will be back this week to finish electrics and asked if we had our lights yet. I didn't think certification could be held up if we haven't chosen our lights.
    Ok, we will have to source recessed spotlights, as they will have to be installed by a professional electrician as part of certification - that's ok, but we have no idea what other lights we want.
    I.e. rest are pendant lights, and mirror lights but haven't picked the lights themselves yet. Also, we have the option of wall lights, but don't want to put wall lights on, just yet.

Surely, the electrician can obtain sign off without us purchasing all the lights for the entire house?
    What is the minimum we need to provide electrician for him to sign off and obtain certification?

Thanks,
    Caz
    :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't know if the lights are required for certification either. The worst case; you have to purchase the cheap ceiling rose efforts costing a few quid. The electrician may even have some so don't sweat it either way. Some of the forum regulars will advise on this anyway I'm sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

thanks mr magnolia. I thought it a bit odd in fairness. I'm thinking along the same lines as you - apart from recessed lights, opt for the standard pendant fixing on the remaining rooms (which i'm sure electrician has!). I assume these standard pendant fixings would accommodate most style light fittings (apart from recessed lights) later down the line?
    As you can tell, i'm not very knowledgeable on these things!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

To do the cert, he has to test all circuits - if there are no lights fitted, he can't test. So, no test = no cert.

You could stick up a bunch of cheap pendants, and change them afterwards.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

As the lads say, stick in the ceiling roses, they should be included in the price anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

brilliant guys.. thanks a mill... ;)
    based on what you all told me, i've been talking to electrician and he agreed that the roses will do for the certification. Panic over... cheers again :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Darren R

Just get the sparks to fit pendants which as some one said he has already priced for and is part of the job to fit them.As for the wall lights if you dont want to fit them yet make sure your sparks puts them in obo boxes so there is no live cables left exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

galwaytt wrote: »
    To do the cert, he has to test all circuits - if there are no lights fitted, he can't test. So, no test = no cert.

You could stick up a bunch of cheap pendants, and change them afterwards.

What tests are preformed to get a cert?

Is it a case of turn the light switch on and the correct light turns on, or are there actually measurements to be taken?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Keeks wrote: »
    What tests are preformed to get a cert?

Is it a case of turn the light switch on and the correct light turns on, or are there actually measurements to be taken?

There are 7 main tests that have to be done, 5 before the cert is submitted to the recognised body ECSSA or RECI and they put it on the ESB computer system for ESB connection and 2 after the ESb is connected.

Full details available at www.etci.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

bertie1 wrote: »
    There are 7 main tests that have to be done, 5 before the cert is submitted to the recognised body ECSSA or RECI and they put it on the ESB computer system for ESB connection and 2 after the ESb is connected.

Full details available at www.etci.ie

Where on the site are those tests listed?

Can't seem to find them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Titainus

you shouldn't have to buy the lights. tell the electrician to put the tails into connectors
    spend a €5 on a few stripsand he can do the tests

tbh the electrician is talking out his ass saying he cant test without lights

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Keeks wrote: »
    Where on the site are those tests listed?

Can't seem to find them?

Copy of the rules are available see http://www.etci.ie/safety/nationalruleselectricalinstallations.html

It is section 6 of the regulations , there are other guidelines also available on that website , after reading them you might just see why the electrician needs to complete the job correctly before the supply is connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

tbh the electrician is talking out his ass saying he cant test without lights
    Correct! In fact most new houses in housing estates come with some lights wired for, but the lights not fitted. The cables should be left in a junction box. It would be like an electrician saying he could not cert a house because the cooker is not there!

Advertisement