Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Mage Help!!

Options
  • 06-02-2008 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just reactivated my account and moved to Ravenholdt a (RP PVP) server.

I have a lvl 54 Undead Horde Fire Mage.

Anyway Ive been playing for about 10 hours now but I think I must be playing my toon wrong because I keep getting owned, like all the time, even against mobs sometimes, I remember my mage being really good at PvE, even doing some serious AOE pulls but now I think I cant remember how to play.

So what Im looking for is some tips please on how to play a fire mage.

What I am currently doing against lvl 54/55 mobs is this.
    I pull with the 3.5 Sec Fireball and usually get two off before the mob reachs me, then I cast the Freeze spell, jump back and starting spamming scorch (1.5 sec) until he breaks free. From here I either hit blink and then spam scorch again or I just spam scorch.

80% of the time I do get the kill but I just feel I should be able to do much better than this, should I not be able to pull 2/3 mobs in one go and kill them>?

I always just use two buffs an Intellect one and another blue shield one.

Is this the norm or am I missing something completely?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Dont forget you wear wet paper for armour. So your not gonna be able to take much damage from mobs. For pvp i can imagine a good hunter/rogue or warrior will be able to take you down in 3 good hits.

What your doing sounds fine to me though. A friend of mine does almost exactally the same as you and managed to take down mobs no probs at all. Maybe you should think about looking for some new gear ? But saying that its a waste as you can go to outlands in 4 more levels. And within a few hours there you will have all new gear. Link us your armoury page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

If you find your having difficulty staying alive you might want to try frost spec.
    You do less damage but can survive much much longer.

Pyro (3.5sec fireball) followed by fireball is usually the way to go. Pyroblast is only a good opener really. If you link us your spec (armoury page) we can advise more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Isn't Frost the best levelling spec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

ok, i play firemage and leveled all the way to 70 on this. Now specced arcane.

you say you walk backwards, stop doing this, walk sideways
    'strafe' left or right and you will get time for two fireballs after frost nova.

also your spec is important, do you have 'impact' ? and 'Flame throwing' ?
    these two will help a big deal.

and whats your current 'plus damage' at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks for the help so far, its havent played since Oct 06 or something :/
    Link us your armoury page

Not sure what you mean? but I will get some screen shots when I go home and post up my stats, hopefully that will help

Ill post up my spec too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Doomhammer&n=Clypso

this is the armory page, fill in your characters name and we can help you better then

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

You say you are fire spec'd but dont have improved fireball? Whats that about. Without improved fireball I would recommend pulling with a frostbolt and then get your 2 fireballs off. You'll get some extra damage from the frostbolt and should still get your 2 fireballs off. With 3.0 second fireballs you should get 3 off before the npc gets in range if you are attacking from max range.

I wouldnt bother opening with pyroblast as with any serious spell damage at all fireball is superior especially considering the extra time casting it and the problem of the mob going out of range.

Also, if you cant kill an npc in fireball/fireball/fireball/frost nova/fireball/fireball or fireblast depending on if they break frostnova after the first one, then you are killing mobs that are too high of a level ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Frost is the easier leveling build. Its more mana efficient and has more survivability. With frostbolts and winters chill the mob should be dead or almost dead by the time its get to you. Then every 3 minutes you have a water elemental to help you along.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oboZZVVGhofxo0qt

Spend the rest in arcane to get clearcasting for even more mana efficiency. When you get to 70, fire is the end game mage spec usually.

Having tailoring is a big plus for a mage at 70 as you can make the spellfire set which will give gloves/belt/robe that wont be easy replacable. You can also get boots/belt of blasting. So if you can, try leveling your tailoring now, there are loads of guides around for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

I wouldnt bother opening with pyroblast as with any serious spell damage at all fireball is superior especially considering the extra time casting it and the problem of the mob going out of range.
    Well since he's lvling he doesn't have any sort of serious fire damage so pyro really is your best opener followed perhaps by a level 1 frostbolt to give you extra time to cast next fireball ;)

Ivan: he's yet to post his armoury profile :p

Sorry for the delay lads, I feel a bit of a tool but I cant get the Armory to display my Charactor.

Server is "Ravenholdt"
    Toon is "Sonnet"

Perhaps is because I only went active on Sunday night?

I checked my Talents last night and I think I might need to respec, I have 45 points in total with the majority of them in Fire. If I cant get the armory to work Ill post screenshots.

:o I went to the Orgimar last night for the first time, it turns out I had to buy alot of the spells all over again for some reason.

Im also an Eng with 293 in mining \ Eng

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

are you sure you set the armoury tab to eu, and not us & oceanic.

what lvl will a frost mage pic up this elemental? is it part of the talent tree? cant check in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

this may sound doumb but the fact that you had to rebuy all ur spells in org sounds like u might not have been going to the trainer every few levels to upgrade your spells to higher ranks?! this maybe why u couldnt kill mobs of equal level!!

copeyhagen wrote: »
    this may sound doumb but the fact that you had to rebuy all ur spells in org sounds like u might not have been going to the trainer every few levels to upgrade your spells to higher ranks?! this maybe why u couldnt kill mobs of equal level!!
    Yeah, was just thinking that as soon as I read the post... thats pretty terrifying at level 54! :o

Water elemental is a 41 point talent meaning you can pick it up at level 50. I know alot of mages believe frost to be the faster leveling spec but personally I dont think it really matters that much. Just avoid full arcane for the most part ;)

Yeah I know what you mean, I am feeling so S A M R T today...

I didnt have to buy them all, just some of them like Pyro and some Fireball lvl 9 ones.. It has been honestly well over 1 1/2 years since I last played all they had beck then for Pvp was the arena, you would be surprised how much you forget! ;)

I could tell you some stories about how about long it took me to find how much gold I had, or the fact that you can list your kill tasks on your screen, not to mentioned how to talk in the different channels /1 /3 /p /s .. but I think I might have embarressed myself enough!

I think my talent spec looks something like this

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=obZEgGzf0MoIMx

It should probably look something a bit more like this...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=obZEgGzb0coIRt

Improved scorch isnt that useful when you arent using it all the time and dragons breath is just amazing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I leveled as a pure fire mage basically the whole way to 70, respeced frost a few times purrely to kill curiousity, however i honestly believed fire to be an overall better leveling/instancing spec, frost was a lot better for PvP, although Ice Block being trainable made a big difference for firemages in pvp as well, anyway, If i was lvl 55 or so, this is where i'd want to be with my talents...

Click

Of course a respec is in order @ 70, depending on your end game aspirations.

P.S that wowdb site is quite sh!thot, at least it will be when the community grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I have an Arcane with Pyro at level 53, & i pwn most things inside Arathi, or Warsong - esp. fire or frost mages.....

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ravenholdt&n=Zaijira

Have a look at the spec. Also helps I have a huge spelldmg, outrageous armor levels, crit & everything else. This was an evolution of a level 49 twink i build out of my first ever WoW character.

I found fire was getting me pwned very early on & Frost was too defensive, both I found exceptionally slow for trying to kill quickly, to minimise any potential agro, & to also ensure I wasn't hanging about taking ages to kill something..... I find this great for levelling, great for wPVP, BG's .... it is a good all-rounder for me, while allowing me to unleash alot of damage on people very early on to overcome the obvious disadvantages a mage has in terms of armor etc., if you can take enough out of people early on, you stand a good chance of taking out alot of classes that would normally pwn a mage.

just my two copper ....

If you're looking for a guild on Ravenholdt Sonnet, I have on there ...... fairly decent crowd of Irish guys & gals ....... You can see it on my Armory page above.

:::: ven0mous ::::

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Hi Static,

I know nothing about Mages but I did manage to find your Armoury page,

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ravenholdt&n=Sonnet

It looks like a lot of your gear has its durability at 0, which would mean that
    you need to repair. You may know this and it might be just because that is how
    you left it when you last logged out but just thought I would point it out.

Hope this helps,

Derek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Frost IS slow until you get ice lance. Instant cast, triple damage against frozen target. Add on winter's chill effects for crits, summon Frosty to frost nova things for you, and you're set. I'm 70 and I come highly in rankings in AB (I actually came first once) and I've no pvp gear.
    Few ice lances and your opponent is dead. That said, I also struck lucky with my Quagmirran's eye trinket - that and icy veins makes frostbolt so much quicker :D

PVE wise the arcane and fire mages in my old guild did consistently rank higher in damage in kara, though I was still gearing up and figuring out what I was doing...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

in a guild with 5/6 ssc as of last night and our 2 highest dps mages are arcane and frost. the arcane mage has 2 parts t5 and does super amounts of damage and the frost mage aint far off him :) put the fire mages to shame tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I used my own spell rotation with my fire mage (41 as of now - ended subscription for college). I position the mage as far away as spells can go, do pyro > fireball > scorch > fire blast, and a same level mob is usually dead by the time it reaches me, assuming at least one of the spells has critted (~12.5% chance for fire), if not, another scorch will kill them. If a spell is resisted, i do a frost nova when they reach and let off another fireball, and the fire blast cooldown usually has expired, so I launch another one of those, resulting in certain death.

Never really tried another spec. In battlegrounds, I always slaughter other mages (unless they sheep+pyro me first), locks (unless afflic), rogues (unless heavily twinked) and warriors (except gnomes - damn escape artists), pallies and shamans. Usually have trouble with priests and druids, and as always, I constantly get slaughtered by hunters

Advertisement