Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question for JDBC Oracle gurus

Options
  • 06-02-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hope someone can help here.

I'm working on a program that, among other things, takes relatively large volumes of data e.g. thousands of lines and loads them to an Oracle database. Each line is passed to a Stored Procedure on the DB that does a bit of processing and inserts the line into a DB table.

I'm calling the Stored Procedure from a J2EE environment. I'm trying to re-write the Java code to improve performance which is pretty poor at present.

I was hoping to use some kind of batch processing using the oracle.jdbc.driver library using stuff like setDefaultExecuteBatch(), executeUpdate() and sendBatch().

I have 3 questions really:

1. However, this type of batch processing seems to only work with OraclePreparedStatement objects and not OracleCallableStatement objects - is this right?

2. And because I am calling a Stored Procedure and not passing SQL directly to the DB, I have to use OracleCallableStatement and not OraclePreparedStatement - is this right?

3. And if I am right in these 2 observations, has anyone any way to tackle batch processing using OracleCallableStatements?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

LinoRichie wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I was hoping to use some kind of batch processing using the oracle.jdbc.driver library using stuff like setDefaultExecuteBatch(), executeUpdate() and sendBatch().
    Thanks.

I was faced with a somewhat similar problem some time ago for a client integration project.

Instead of using JDBC directly installed Spring in the Apps lib on the Weblogic server hosting the J2EE app which was accessing Oracle 9i. Spring has a suite of JDBC convenience classes that take care of the transaction management and closing connections, etc etc. It should have the ability to do batch calls although I havent used that functionality directly.

If you can't go that route then I can take a look at the JDBC stuff, theres a good book called "Oracle Database Programming using Java and Web Services" that covers the topic extensively.

Advertisement