Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Benefit or Allowance?!

Options
  • 06-02-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

What's the difference between the 2 of these?!

My hours have been cut, and I need to claim benefit for a while (as short a while as possible!) and the social welfare office gave me forms to fill in. The last form I went to fill in (UP 23 9/06) asks me if I want Jobseekers Allowance or Benefit - but I can't make out what's different between the two!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Afaik, benefit is for people who have a certain amount of PRSI contributions, whereas allowance is for people whose PRSI contributions have run dry.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Thanks,
    I've been paying prsi for the last 9 years - I take it I'm entitled to Benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yup.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

cheers, now to find the tippex!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Usually that form is given to people who may be entitled to reduced rate Jobseeker's Benefit (i.e. if your average gross weekly earnings were less than E150 in 2006) , if Jobseeker's Allowance is at a higher rate that the rate of Benefit you are entitled to then you can opt to go on that - thats what the UP23 form is for.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply - I was talking to the lady in the welfare office, she helped me fill in the form:o I have it in the car, I'll check out what I ticked - have to hand it in on monday morning

Advertisement