Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move all content to HDD?

Options
  • 06-02-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Would it be a good idea to move all my HDDVD/DVD/AVI/Bluray/MP3 to a media player? I have a HD LCD, HDDVD player, PS3, amp and 5.1 speakers. Would I be losing out on the capabilities/features of the individual players?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

With the size of HD-DVD, Blu-Ray rips, you would need very large HDD. Then you need a media center powerful enough to play back full uncompressed 1080p content and also output DD or TrueHD content.

Why not move all your AVI, MP3 content to PS3. Upgrade its internal laptop 2.5" HDD and copy all your MP3, AVI files to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Then you need a media center powerful enough to play back full uncompressed 1080p content and also output DD or TrueHD content.

Ive been watching out for a HDMI 1.3 enabled graphics or sound card that would pass through the full HD audio of bluray or HD DVD for a while now , and so far there isnt one. Not that Ive been able to find anyway , so you would definitely lose the high quality sound for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks. I'll bide my time then, keep a eye on things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I dont know if this is true but i remember reading on a media centre enthusiats website that a computer dvd player application powerdvd or alternatives etc will always be better than any stand alone player.for blu rays ,hd-dvd etc

might help your decison as to whether to play them off your pc,as for the size of blu rays or hd dvd.most end up being 25 gb give or take for the main movie.you can purchase 500gb hard drive for about 90 quid these days and you will fit 20 on one of these,compare that to about 100 dvd's on the same hard drive,all uncompressed and just ripping the main menu no extras.I would say do it for dvd's avi but hold off on doing it with your hd content

Advertisement