Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

animal cruelty in dog groomers cork!!!

Options
  • 05-02-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

DO NOT go to the (named removed) dog grooming parlour in (town removed) cork as they are awful to the animals. The groomer made a dog yelped as he wouldn't sit still and hit another dog for being scared. I could see through the window as they thought the shop was empty. My dog came out completely scared and i think it's disgrace that they say they are dog lovers if they treat the dogs like this. Please pass on the word, they should not be allowed to treat dogs this way and make money doing so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

thats a disgrace! if that happened to my dog i would lose it! did you contact any animal cruelty agency??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yes, did you contct an animal cruelty agency? What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is there even such a thing as an "animal cruelty agency" ?

You know what I mean, :) I ask because I'd be a bit worried about just saying "yeah ok, I'll never go there, I'll tell people to avoid it" based on one post and what the poster saw through a window. I just wanted to see if she has reported it anywhere but on a public internet forum.

Where would you report it to?

I think that you will find that unless dogs come running out that salon bleeding and with limbs missing nobody will be able to do anything under current legislation.

Trading standards would probably be a better bet than the ISPCA or some such organisation.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »

I think that you will find that unless dogs come running out that salon bleeding and with limbs missing nobody will be able to do anything under current legislation.

Trading standards would probably be a better bet than the ISPCA or some such organisation.

Good point - OP report it to a trading standard agency ;)
    I would imagine a groomers like that will not stay in business for long. People will not send their dog back if they obviously had a bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Hi Grantfox, Thats awful if i were you i would ring the groomers and say what you heard and say you dog is in distress from it. I would like to know what they would say.

I am a dog groomer and i wouldn't have the heart to yell or slap a dog. I can honestly say the dogs always go out tails wagging and happy :)

The problem is people are paying big money to do a 3-5week grooming course and being told they can set up their own business afterwards. They open up a grooming business and don't have enough experience in handling dogs and they use the "skills" they have seen such as shouting slapping etc and think thats right because they haven't been showing how to handle a dog properly. :mad:

When i was on work experience when training to be a dog groomer i saw some shocking things dogs been sedated without the owners being told, dog slapped kicked yelled at etc... I was told i was too soft to be a dog groomer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maryoshea

Hi hounds of love hope you are feeling better and are you back at work? Little terry my westie missed you at xmas time when you were out of work.he had a terrible time at a groomers! Shaved down to the skin and shaking with fear coming home is how i would sum it up.

I'll PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarahpetstop

thats terrible to hear about the treatment that you received i myself do dog grooming and i would never have the heart to treat an animal like that you should contat the ispca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I am just setting up a mobile van dog wash because I have heard of these stories. Dog in all day at a groomers stuck in a cage and cut to bleed when they come out shacking like a leaf. but people still take there dogs there. When I got my huskies I bought them as I was fit for them. My husband gives of as I got a new bath room fitted and the frist things washed in it was my dogs.:D I believe a dog should enjoy a wash my sheltie would craw over you if you lifted a brush. he just loves being brushed. and so do the huskies they fight over who can get to my feet first.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 grantfox

of course they denied it when i said it to them.they deserve all the misfortune that comes their way. will try the trading standards agency, thanks

i think it's important to let people know that (name and location of business removed) apparently he is known for being rough to the dogs.

hi hounds of love where are you based as you seem like a decent dog groomer? you seem like what all dog groomers should be; a dog lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Hi Grantfox, thank you i do love dogs i also look after 12 of my own cats! They don't know what it is to be hungry :D I can't believe its that groomer in Cork and he has 20 yrs experience! He runs courses too. :eek: Go to www.ipdga.com Irish Professional Dog Groomers Association. You can report the groomer or any groomer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

@ OP: Do not continue to name the business involved.

Next time the ban hammer will be used.

@ grantfox

Why don't you groom your dog yourself ?
    The equipment as about the price of one to two visits to the groomers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Good point Peasant,I groom my dog about twice a week.You get to spend more time with the dog and the dog's general behaviour for you improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

how do we really know the OP just has a major problem or a personal vendetta with the grooming service in Cork and whats to destroy its name?

what happened to innocent until proven guilty? im not trying to start a massive debate here but i think its a bit dodgy that somewhon arrives in boards and their 1st post is naming and shaming a business. This could in fact really do damage to his business and all we have to go by is just somebodys "account" of seeing something through the window. maybe it did happen, maybe it didnt happen but theres NO PROOF!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The OP is on notice that he will be banned if he keeps it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

thanks for seeing my point ;)

• Advertisement

yes steveoman, i would make up an animal cruelty case just for the fun of it..

There is nothing funny about groomers abusing animals; especially when people trust them with their dogs, expecting them to be well cared for and something that they should enjoy, not endure.

I DO groom my own dog and I brought him to this groomers as a treat. It won't happen again after the way he was treated.

I wanted to make people aware that this groomer should not be trusted with people's dogs as i have seen myself how he treats them.

I'm not going to waste my time convincing; it's up to the individuals themselves whether to trust this groomer with their dogs or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If he is bad to the dogs the word will spread, dog lovers wont bring there dog to him and he'll either have to change his ways or go out of business, tell everyone you know about him and it will spread like wildfire..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

ISPCA is the only relevant body in this case isnt it?

Isnt Trading Standards a UK authority? It would be great if we had them here but I dont think so. If we do have an equivalent please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

Thanks for the link EGAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

grantfox wrote: »
    DO NOT go to the (named removed) dog grooming parlour in (town removed) cork as they are awful to the animals. The groomer made a dog yelped as he wouldn't sit still and hit another dog for being scared. I could see through the window as they thought the shop was empty. My dog came out completely scared and i think it's disgrace that they say they are dog lovers if they treat the dogs like this. Please pass on the word, they should not be allowed to treat dogs this way and make money doing so.

:cool:Hi, I am a groomer in Dublin and am a member of the Irish Professional Dog groomers assocaition and Pet Care trust in England, if you have any complaints about groomers that are in these associations you should contact them, most groomers do not treat dogs badly, some dog yelp for no reason at all other than it is their way of talking to you to say they are not sure of what you are doing, it is the groomers job to reasure them and let them know it is ok, they will not be hurt. I dont know of any groomer that would hit a dog, and would not do it myself.but I do know of many dogs that have bitten groomers.
    I hope this is of some help to you,
    the address of the groomers association is www.ipdga.com I hope this is of help to you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you know your dog is going to be in a cage all day at the groomer's why would you bring it there if you couldn't pick it up when the groomer was finished?

I know my dogs would lose their lives if I brought them to have a stranger groom them. They dislike the vet enough on home visits. They love when I groom them and love the attention. It makes them feel extra special that I groom them and helps in their behaviour, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

barca girl wrote: »
    They dont believe in keeping dogs in cages for more than a few minutes so they will text you if your dog is ready early..! I must say i was delighted with the price and my dog had never been so clean,he had really been given the full groom,with his teeth.ears,nails and they even did his anal glands which i was suprised at as most groomers dont do it, his cut was fab as well they really listen to what you want!!!! We have to stop the animal cruelty that is going on and to be honest you dont know how your dog is being treated anymore by dog groomers because there is so much competition..!!!

I should hope you're not pushing this salon.

Also my groomers does a proper job - they're supposed to do their ears/nails/anal glands, check their teeth, everything. You should always check in the groomers for qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clare1

I am a dog groomer too and when I did work experience I seen some terrible things - dogs smacked and sedated without owners permission!! And that was at a vets. I too was told I was too soft a person to groom dogs. Well now I have my own dog grooming business and it's all about patience and being kind that dogs respond too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i do all the grooming of my pets, always did, as i have heard of stuff like this in the past, the equipment is easy come by, and it only have to be bought once, which is great, as i would not like to worry my pets, so best done at home

Advertisement