Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swg

Options
  • 05-02-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

Just want to ask the opinion of any of the folks that have played star wars galaxies.

I've been thinking of signing up for a while now but i decided to do some research on the game before i shell out my hard earned cash. I had a look at the SWG official website and to be fair it looks pretty good. That said if you go to any of the official MMO websites they all look pretty good.

What worries me is the NGE system the introduced in 2005. from what I've been reading on the web pre NGE the game was supposed to be superb. awash with skills, Professions, classes and the like most of which have become obsolite since the introduction of NGE. one poster on a different form described SWG post NGE as a twichy click like crazy FPS game rather than an MMO.

I've been on several sites that all confirm this that since the introduction of NGE the game has steadily decreased in skill and enjoyment of the last few years. I cant find a single thread that says its good. Most of these posters strike me as hardcore starwars players they were all in america so i just wanted to check with folks here.

Have you played SWG in the last 2 years?
    Have you played the NGE system and is it really as bad as everyone is saying it is?

Is it worth shelling out the money and the monthly sub fee's to play the game if it is half as buggy as everyone says it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I played it when it first came out but stopped due to a ****ty internet connection. But I installed it again last year and couldn't play it for that long. It's not bad, and I've certainly no problems with the combat system, and the space sections are handled reasonably well too. But I just couldn't stick with it. I'm not fully sure why, but it just didn't feel right (the force must of been weak with this one!). Sure you can do a 10 day trial with it, but bare in mind that when I installed it, I spent roughly 7 days patching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 scorps101

i played this game for 3 years, from start to finish.

this was by far the best..i mean the best untill they introduced the combat upgrade NGE.

now its just a load of balls, you will be lucky if u get 5% of the greatness this game once was, 2 others and myself spent a full year mastering there unofficial 32 proffessions to swing a saber and unlock the chance to play as a jedi.

We done it, had fun, were over powererd, we deservered it.. could make a group of 20 flee just seeing them sabers light up, then they changed it.

now every1 had the opertunity over time (fair enough) more jedis started to get attuned and it was fun, took them approx 6months with really mind numing quests, but every1 wanted a saber.

then they made it a starting proffesion (meaning you started the game with a lightsaber) and they cut out about 20 other proffession in the same update...

dont waste your money on this game, if they reset these servers to mid 2000 i would be happy to delete my WoW account and starrt from scratch, once a masterpiece of a game..now shambles and blizzard picked up about 5million of sony onlines customers in a few months over that one patch..thats how bad it was.

ps. it is like a first person shooter now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

ps. it is like a really bad first person shooter now.

Fixed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Thats what i thought.

Im getting bored of world of warcraft fast. im up into the 50's now and every single quest i get no matter what the region seems the same ole cr@p. kill X of Y to obtain body part Z bring them back to me. rinse and repete.

I know the argument goes why not try PvP. i dont like PvP, i never have. If i ever get my character to end game id consider going PvP with my guildies cos at least id be fighting with people i know would have my back. but before level 70 personally anyway i dont enjoy PvP.

So i figured id try a new MMO, since im a pretty big sci fi fan and more over a star wars fan i figured id give SWG a go. Shame its gotten all the negative press. Oh well i guess i'll just keep searching for an MMO worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

scorps101 wrote: »
    i played this game for 3 years, from start to finish.

this was by far the best..i mean the best untill they introduced the combat upgrade NGE.

now its just a load of balls, you will be lucky if u get 5% of the greatness this game once was, 2 others and myself spent a full year mastering there unofficial 32 proffessions to swing a saber and unlock the chance to play as a jedi.

We done it, had fun, were over powererd, we deservered it.. could make a group of 20 flee just seeing them sabers light up, then they changed it.

now every1 had the opertunity over time (fair enough) more jedis started to get attuned and it was fun, took them approx 6months with really mind numing quests, but every1 wanted a saber.

then they made it a starting proffesion (meaning you started the game with a lightsaber) and they cut out about 20 other proffession in the same update...

dont waste your money on this game, if they reset these servers to mid 2000 i would be happy to delete my WoW account and starrt from scratch, once a masterpiece of a game..now shambles and blizzard picked up about 5million of sony onlines customers in a few months over that one patch..thats how bad it was.

ps. it is like a first person shooter now.

The above quote pretty much summed it up.. i too used to LOVE this game.

The way they kept changing it though really pissed me off, i had mastered 28 of the 32 proffessions which tbh took a LONG time. Then they changed it to the quest thing and gave me a pathetic bonus to the xp i needed to earn for the quest to unlock jedi, which still left me with ALOT of grinding to do and the quests were lame.

They had 32 professions which gave the game alot of depth and was one of the reasons why i loved the game.

Then they decided to take away 26 professions.... And make Jedi a default choice. So guess what happened ? If your server had 2000 people playing on it, you had yourself 2000 Jedi's :(

I closed my account after they changed the way jedi was unlocked after about a week, i reopened it when they done the combat upgrade and closed it again on the same day.

It is a **** game now, heres hoping they make a swg2 and give it to someone other than sony.

Also i heard that some independant programmers made a SWG copy of the game before it turned crap. Not sure if it ever took off though, someone here should know about it :D

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote: »
    Fixed for you.

i loled when i seen that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Still playing it, 4 years later...

The problem with alot of those that left when the nge hit(not that i blame them, as it really was a kick in the teeth at the time) is that they refuse to see past the way the game used to be, its not as bad as many make it out to be. Its far different than it used to be, different rules so to say, there certinly isnt more jedi than there was before change, just before the change, you could barely spit without hitting one.

Personally ild suggest getting the trial, and making your own mind up about it, it sits well with some people.... and poorly with others

As for the emulator... I believe they are still working on it

Still playing it, 4 years later...

The problem with alot of those that left when the nge hit(not that i blame them, as it really was a kick in the teeth at the time) is that they refuse to see past the way the game used to be, its not as bad as many make it out to be. Its far different than it used to be, different rules so to say, there certinly isnt more jedi than there was before change, just before the change, you could barely spit without hitting one.

Personally ild suggest getting the trial, and making your own mind up about it, it sits well with some people.... and poorly with others

As for the emulator... I believe they are still working on it

Ummm before they introduced the quests to unlock jedi i could go a couple of weeks without seeing a jedi. They only became common to me when my two friends (GM and next door neighbour) unlocked jedi.

And i played on probably the most populated swg server in the world (well it was to my knowledge) which was Bria (Us server)

What most people didnt like about the big change is that it wasn't needed... at all. Just because a large majority of noobs wanted to be jedi and thought the holocron path took too long, so the Devs changed it.

Idiots !

I saw plenty on a daily basis on bria, personally knowing at least 7 maxed out guardians as well as having my own there, they just didnt tend to want to be noticed back then, saber tefs and way back perma death and all(the removal of which was definatly one of the bigger mistakes they made). Ents and docs tended to be called out alot by them, knew plenty of people who were 2 or 3 proffessions off getting it unlocked by the time the first change hit. But i wasnt refering to that change but the one from cu -> nge...

jedi were everywhere and with the lack of said saber tef they refused to hide that fact, after the nge hit, jedi found they had been seriously cut down to size, a lot less "uber" and closer to near useless

these days theyve been buffed up a good bit, but are by no means the powerhouses they used to be

The devs back then may have been seriously boneheaded, but the latest bunch are doing alot for the game and tend to listen more... where as previous devs would think they no best dispite public outcries( cu(for some) nge for just about everyone), the current bunch have withdrawn some changes that havent sat too well with the playerbase(the most recent being a damage buffing issue on player owned gunboats)

If you want to wallow in the past of swg...go right ahead, after a little checking I found that the emulator dose have a test server but still requires alot of work. What I do find disappointing is those that bring the game down for others just because it isnt like it used to be....

but just one thing.....
    then they made it a starting proffesion (meaning you started the game with a lightsaber)

No you dont...you may start as a jedi but you dont get the saber until around level 30 and eventhen your better off not using it, really only becomes a viable weapon choice over lvl 60

I saw plenty on a daily basis on bria, personally knowing at least 7 maxed out guardians as well as having my own there, they just didnt tend to want to be noticed back then, saber tefs and way back perma death and all(the removal of which was definatly one of the bigger mistakes they made). Ents and docs tended to be called out alot by them, knew plenty of people who were 2 or 3 proffessions off getting it unlocked by the time the first change hit. But i wasnt refering to that change but the one from cu -> nge...

jedi were everywhere and with the lack of said saber tef they refused to hide that fact, after the nge hit, jedi found they had been seriously cut down to size, a lot less "uber" and closer to near useless

these days theyve been buffed up a good bit, but are by no means the powerhouses they used to be

The devs back then may have been seriously boneheaded, but the latest bunch are doing alot for the game and tend to listen more... where as previous devs would think they no best dispite public outcries( cu(for some) nge for just about everyone), the current bunch have withdrawn some changes that havent sat too well with the playerbase(the most recent being a damage buffing issue on player owned gunboats)

If you want to wallow in the past of swg...go right ahead, after a little checking I found that the emulator dose have a test server but still requires alot of work. What I do find disappointing is those that bring the game down for others just because it isnt like it used to be....

but just one thing.....

No you dont...you may start as a jedi but you dont get the saber until around level 30 and eventhen your better off not using it, really only becomes a viable weapon choice over lvl 60

Getting to lvl 30 shouldnt take longer than a few hours, what i was tryin to say was this game migth be playable but it is no were near what it was, i bought the trials of ob1 when it came out and went from 80-90 within 2days.

When you start you get the robe..? if i remember correctly i wore the composit armour and the sabers done kinetic dmg? then stun dmg like fencers/pistolers and then it was lightsaber dmg and the robes did balls all but for some reson you could take the hits?

i just dont want people to play this half arsed version of what the game once was.

when u grinded out your proffessions, got your 4 flawless pearls, paid over a million credits for that color crystel and got your materials from that opposing faction vender and managed to live through the weeks of solo grinding on endor i think atleast they should not made it a starting proffession tbh, people wanted a challenge..not to be handed the stuff.

PS. I CAN GLOW BLUE NOW, AND HAVE A FEW BUFFS, AND CAN CHANGE MY TITLE

• Advertisement

maby a mistake on the pistoleer/fencer i know they were great at dodging and i remember the stun baton doing stun dmg, and some gun that done stun stuff.

Was on the gorath server, light side and hold a record of 94-1, pvp rating 1890 the bounty hunter that got me was called alonso... i think he was speed hacking lols...cause he kicked my ass big time..and my bike and driod lol.

and my alts jetpack and maldorian armour is prob still rotting with the 20 od untuined kryte pearls in that house north of dantoone.

Dont get me wrong, given the choice if an offical old server was established ild jump on it if i could use my current characters there, theres plenty of stuff i miss from back then... but thats just not gonna happen, theyve already said that it would be as big a blow to current players that started with the nge as it was to those of us there before... personally im not sure the game could handle another major reveamp... so i live without it

The emulator i dont have much faith in, and will probably avoid it, not so much the emulation but more those that provide servers.

One of my fav temps, was commando/ch on farstar(now my main server) which is essentially what i am now, have been some variation of a master commando temp there for over 4 years...

But its some of the recent high level content thats been added that i enjoy most these days, saving mos espa from a tusken raid and the star destroyer raid, both are extremely difficult, needing well balanced teams and people who know thier prof's inside out but lottsa fun, updated JTL content aswell...

Your house has probably been blown up by now( sent to your datapad) was an effort to clean the many dead cities from the game, to open up room for new ones with active players... if those pearls are flawless, im not sure you could even put a value on them as they dont drop anymore, if not could be anything form a few 100k to a few million each , varies from server to server

my houses..noooooo..lol have so many i cant even remember, one for each grinding area and safe houses for other jedi, last time i played i was offered alot for the bio engenered mounts/and the bike? not the swoop the jump to lightspeed one, had about 30million credits when i stopped, and a few bains and the blue crystels..donno if there worth muich now.

also have a giant holocron, lots of holocrons stacked in the shap of a holocron lol, took fecking hours, all my important stuff is in a house north of dantooine and the nightsister armour is on tantooine..donno if that is still a collectors item or not.

the ns armour bracer is near impossible to get anymore... have been offered 2-3 billion for the one i have on bria, the barc is still worth a ton, perhaps not as much as it used to be due the general rank version being similar...your houses still exist, theyll be in your datapad ready for placement(with their contents intact) for as long as you can afford them

that giant holocron sounds pretty cool...as welll as much of a headache to make

I'll give the trail version a go, I dont have much faith in it but whats the worst that could happen.

Having not played the original version of SWG's sounds like both a blessing and a curse since my own experiences of the game will be based on the NGE system only. Im a hardcore starwars fan so what im more interested in is quaility of content than anything else.

It sounds allot like WoW tbh, but i dont mind that since im playing WoW right now so im used to grindfests

If i have to grind in SWG i have to grind. i'll download the trial at the weekend see if its any good

thanks for the opinions guys i'll let ye know how i get on

the ns armour bracer is near impossible to get anymore... have been offered 2-3 billion for the one i have on bria, the barc is still worth a ton, perhaps not as much as it used to be due the general rank version being similar...your houses still exist, theyll be in your datapad ready for placement(with their contents intact) for as long as you can afford them

that giant holocron sounds pretty cool...as welll as much of a headache to make

Were you on US Bria server before the holocrons were done away with? If so what guild were you in and what planet was your main home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Ah good old SWG.. I quit the day they delayed the combat revamp. I had done pretty-much all the non-Jedi stuff (and had my friend's Jedi account also) but combat was so broken I just couldn't face continuing. They eventually gave up on the revamp and did that NGE thing which sounded horrible. Apart from combat it was one of the best games I've ever played though.. amazing crafting, cities/housing, economy, classes etc. I packed up all my gear into my bank when I left.. had some really sweet stuff iirc.

nix wrote: »
    Were you on US Bria server before the holocrons were done away with? If so what guild were you in and what planet was your main home ?

I was with DE on Dantooine, and yes i got my jedi before the village existed

The game is not that bad . Unfortunately it needed a change to get more people on. This was the NGE. It was handeled poorly . Then what happened was a backlash from the players.
    I like the game but you have to put up with the pre NGE player's who like to tell you what the good old days were like, every chance they get.

Give it a go, its free for the first week, see what you think of it yourself

I was with DE on Dantooine, and yes i got my jedi before the village existed

DE ? I dont think i recall that guild/town.. Was it in the north west of Dantoine ?

Do you recall a guild called Epic ? Situated in a town north east of the most southern spaceport.

Ah i miss the good old days, shoppin in tortilla's stores and soloing rancors and the psycho force sensitive chicks... good times ;)

• Advertisement

yeah was in the northwest, crystal valley, still stands aswell, not many cities have stood the test of time as well as it has, dont remember epic to be honest, tho chances are i knew people in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

i play swg currently.
    and i llove the game.
    yes its true they really badly messed the game up back in 05,
    but theyre slowly getting it better,
    it really is a brilliant game right now.
    the pvp system is still far superior compared to the likes of world of warcraft,
    although it does lack diversity when it comes to character customisation.

if your like me and will be pvp orientated,
    there is only a certain amount of armours you can get.
    and as for weapons and buffs, there are pretty much a particular set up everyone must go with to have a chance.

the grind is fairly hard nowadays from what ive seen.
    but once your at the top level there are a fair few things to do,
    and you do get a very good star warsy feel from the game if you like that.

if you do join, feel free to join Europe-Infinity, and give me a shout on "Henja", i can help you out and get you started.

although if youw ant lots of people around you,
    id suggest Europe-Chimeara.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Iammwa

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    i play swg currently.
    and i llove the game.
    the pvp system is still far superior compared to the likes of world of warcraft

I too play SWG currently and i totally agree! Although they may have messed it up in '05 since i started playing again in 07 it has quickly advanced to become a really good game. the only problem being that not enough people play!!! i joined a lightly populated galaxy to begin as i didnt have a very good connection but my next character shal be in a heavily populated area. if all goes well i will transfer my highest cl character over! :)

I recommend SWG and i think that people need to give it another chance!!

EXCELLENT GAME!!

Please read this everyone who psted here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241415

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Haven't read most of this thread, but I'm still here too ... four years later so that probably has to account for something.

I will say this though ... pre-NGE weaponsmiths contributed to the game and had a fun and challenging profession. Now the profession is horrendously, horrendously broken and without purpose in the game. The Devs have acknowledged this, but whether or not WS will ever be fixed remains to be seen - the profession has been repeatedly passed over despite promises of x, y, and z.

I think more people are angry with SOE than the game itself. SOE's treatment of its user-base is an example - and warning - to every other MMO company out there. But with that said, LucasArts must also share the blame since SOE do absolutely nothing without LA's blessing or direction.

Can anyone recommend a server for me to play on. I downloaded the 14 day trial so im giving it a go tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    i play swg currently.
    and i llove the game.
    the pvp system is still far superior compared to the likes of world of warcraft,
    although it does lack diversity when it comes to character customisation.

if your like me and will be pvp orientated,
    there is only a certain amount of armours you can get.
    and as for weapons and buffs, there are pretty much a particular set up everyone must go with to have a chance.

the grind is fairly hard nowadays from what ive seen.
    but once your at the top level there are a fair few things to do,
    and you do get a very good star warsy feel from the game if you like that.

if you do join, feel free to join Europe-Infinity, and give me a shout on "Henja", i can help you out and get you started.

although if youw ant lots of people around you,
    id suggest Europe-Chimeara.

" Paddy land " better be still standing, My city on Europe-Chimeara.

'AL wrote:
    [EN;55264315']Can anyone recommend a server for me to play on. I downloaded the 14 day trial so im giving it a go tonight

Join Europe-Chimeara give Henja a call or contact me " What was my name again " Tictac i think, Ask henja lol Its been a while,

see if we can help you out

Advertisement