Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 Broadband

Options
  • 05-02-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I live about 6 miles outside Castlebar (Lakeland, Manulla) in Co Mayo and was told by the 02 guy on the phone I was in range to get their 3G service. So I went in Friday and bought the modem but since then my speeds have been pretty dire. On rare occasions I hit 1mb but id say i average 200kbps. Everytime i try a speed test i get a different result all the time. The line often drops (bloody hell it just did it as I was writing this) and it also drops from HDPA to UMTS on various occasions

I rang tech support and they said they are getting a radio engineer to look at the transmitter -he said i should be at least averaging between 1 and 2 mg- but from reading this thread it seems everyone is having problems with speeds? Youtube which i love is a pain on any speed below at least 450kbps. Any other experiences with 02 and what did they tell you when you told them the poor speeds you were geting ?

At night and early morning my speeds pick up quite a bit - i also noticed on Fri night when i got it first i could watch You Tube and get decent enough speeds - - does that mean the time of day will have a big bearing on the speed

I live in a rural area so at peak time i can't imagine a ton of people utilising my transmitter

Just done 4 speed tests now and got 592 - 688 - 672 - 768 d/ls
    But the slightest modem movement can crash that down to 200 - have to point the modem a certain way

I suspect there in nothing wrong with my transmitter like the tech guy said - i think 02 are just having massive variance in speed - but the did tell me they were having contention issues and recently increased their speed

Very interested in any feedback from other 02 users

We are not eircom enabled and i have been trying to get broadband for ages. Have had 56k since 96 here in Mayo but its barely usable now as they must never have kept the lines up to date --- Rang them to get their Satellite broadband in December and they said it was on order - never heard back from them - left countless answering messages - and then 2 months later they tell me "we don't do that any more" - pure telecom quoted me SIXTEEN HUNDRED POUNDS for Satellite Broadband

So annoyed right now - i lived in London for 2 years and had over 6mgs -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Same story here. Tech support will fob you off with any old speil just to get rid of you.Their support people are very disinterested and seem to be easily bored. It is the same story as the other 3g providers, too many people signed up and not enough backhaul.
    have to point the modem a certain way
    Same here.

Advertisement