Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAS Books alternatives.

Options
  • 04-02-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi.

Has anybody any experience with TAS Books software? I need to look at alternatives for a client.

By experience, I mean perhaps you may have done a similar migration from TAS to another product? Any alternatives would need to have an accessible database (SQL Server etc.) and affordability is certainly an issue.

The business functions it’s currently serving would include:

Purchasing.
    SOP.
    Stock Control.
    Bill of Materials.
    Accounts.

Any opinions or advice you can give me in relation to this task is most appreciated.

Thanks.

(PS: I realise its not a programming topic as such, but thought this might be the best place given my options under Tech. :))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Tas was a good product. I still use it for accounts. I know it was bought out by Sage who wanted its market share. Unless your client requires functions not available in Tas then I would not necessarily change just because it is no longer being marketed here. What sector does your client operate in and what are they looking for in terms of Sales order processing, how complex a pricing model would they like? In terms of bill of materials/costing, are they manufactures or fabricators? Do they require absolute traceability, that is to be able to at the push of a button see which unique batches of products a unique batch of a component/ingredient from a specific supplier was used in, which of their customers purchased the said products and when. From an accounting point of view are they a single company or a group? If they are a group will all the companies in the group use the same accounts system or does it have to be able to consolidate accounting data from disparate sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

FSL wrote: »
    Unless your client requires functions not available in Tas then I would not necessarily change just because it is no longer being marketed here.
    FSL, thanks for the reply. As it happens I have a number of clients with TAS and none are very impressed, in general. This company in particular has been using TAS for 12 years and while it has served them ok until now, they feel they have outgrown it and it wont allow them to expand the way they need to. The biggest problem is it doesnt appear to be possible to link external systems with it. If they wanted, for example, a bespoke Traceability/Stock Control system developed for them it would be virtually impossible for this system to read or manipulate the raw data in TAS as the database is inaccessible.
    What sector does your client operate in and what are they looking for in terms of Sales order processing, how complex a pricing model would they like? In terms of bill of materials/costing, are they manufactures or fabricators?
    The sector is manufacturing and the pricing model would not be complex.
    Do they require absolute traceability, that is to be able to at the push of a button see which unique batches of products a unique batch of a component/ingredient from a specific supplier was used in, which of their customers purchased the said products and when.
    Yes, absolutely.
    From an accounting point of view are they a single company or a group? If they are a group will all the companies in the group use the same accounts system or does it have to be able to consolidate accounting data from disparate sources.
    Single company.

I think the underlying issue with systems like TAS is their inaccessibility. I understand that they need to be secure systems but they don’t need to be completely closed either. Even allowing read access to the Stock Control / Products data would be benificial.

Advertisement