Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in the Order Of Malta?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

So how many people here are in OMAC? Been in it two years now, EFR level - phecc level certification is coming up in May. Find it to be pretty fun all told, especially with a small unit you get to know everybody well.

New Uniforms coming in soon - much better quality and they look nicer. Seems the people in HQ are really tightening up control and presentation of the organisation with not just the uniforms but everything else (training, presentation, letterheads, schedules - small things) - It's good to see. Hopefully we'll really better our (already good) name. The amount of people who don't know who we are, despite being the biggest!

I know there is another thread but it's locked :D

Overall I really enjoy it

Who else is in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Hey There,

Been in the order for the past 15 years love it to bits, i came up thru the cadet corps doing all thecool things like trips away and competitions:D Yeah seen the new uniform it looks pretty cool much better than the last one i know our unit have them ordered just waiting on them to arrive now seems to be a little bit of a hold up:confused: guessing just sheer volume of stuff ordered.

You off to Lourdes this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

I'd love to join OMAC buuuuuut I am 19 and terrified of blood.

:( Is there actually real blood there?

19 aint a problem kids join as young as 10.
    No afraid not we dont run with bottles of blood. We use fake blood when training in first aid and it actually gets people comfertable with it.
    The order of Malta is much more than First aid we provide community work, youth development programmes, trips away with the disabled and elderly and thats only part of it.

Promise you one thing if you join you will make friends in it that will be with you forever. We kinda more like a big family everyone looks out for each other.

19 wouldn't be too old like? I dont want them to put me in with the cadets :(:(

How do I go about joining?

No you would'nt be in with the cadets they are aged between the ages of 10 and 16. Its pretty much just show up on the night and they will be more than happy to have you join uo:D

If you want to let me know what town you in i can find out where and when the meetings are on.

Otherwise you can check out our website at www.orderofmalta.ie or ring our headquarters in dublin on 016684891.

Let me know how you get on?????????

• Advertisement

I wil thanks a million!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

moose112 wrote: »
    Hey There,

Been in the order for the past 15 years love it to bits, i came up thru the cadet corps doing all thecool things like trips away and competitions:D Yeah seen the new uniform it looks pretty cool much better than the last one i know our unit have them ordered just waiting on them to arrive now seems to be a little bit of a hold up:confused: guessing just sheer volume of stuff ordered.

You off to Lourdes this year?

Nah man, don't fancy gowing away with OMAC, not to mention working while away!

One thing that is changing is the phecc guidelines, every first responder has to do a bridging course, but afaik we will all have to be EMTs eventually, because the guidelines state that only EMTs can transport. I have a feeling it will take a long time for that to come in.

Elessar wrote: »
    Nah man, don't fancy gowing away with OMAC, not to mention working while away!

Probably the best week ever is Lourdes had my reservations about going myself a few years ago but love it to bits out there it such a rewarding experience:D

We aint just about ambulances after all

Yeah it was talked about at the national assembly alright but reckon it going to happen a lot Quicker than you think. The AED bridging course took place in our region three weeks ago and another one ths sunday which i am going on. So fingers crossed i will pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Any pictures available of the new uniforms?

Have seen them alright and they look really well even the wet gear looks so much better but no pictures.
    We have ours ordered now over two weeks so as soon as i get i will post up some pictures.
    All the directors staff have them so if you know any of them they will show you theres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xxdeweaselxx

heya!!... im 14 and im in the order of Malta since i was 12 !..i just moved to Ardee unit 3 weeks ago and i have to say it is the best craic ever!!..i think the order of malta is a great way of getting to know people and its soo much fun:)..i really think its great!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

In the Order 6years, What units you in Guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Silverfox

I've been in the Order for 12 years. It's great for making friends and it teaches responsibility, teamwork, organisational skills and loyalty apart from the obvious first aid, manual handling and home nursing stuff. It has its good and bad sides like any other organisation but it's very worthwhile and you get far more out of it than you put in. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Hi lads, i'm in SJAB. Whats your opinion on the PHECC guidelines regarding transport?

I think its going to be hard on voluntary services to get their members upto EMT level because of the time required. We aint got much of a choicr tho done my bridgeing course last week for the new AED and passes happy days so next on my list is the EMT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 i like cake 24

Interested in joining a volutry organisation in the midlands area. I might be too old to join really would love to meet new friends and put my free time to some use. volunteering has always been something i wanted to do but never did it. is it bad i've left it so late to do some volunteering work?? all my friends froom school seem to be have moved away from home i'd love to meet new friends. :)

1- you're never too old to offer experience!
    2- it's voluntary, so if you don't like it, you can leave

where abouts are you?

laois/offaly kind of area. I'd love to do fundraising stuff aswel......

I'm St.John Dublin but we don't have a Division down in the sticks.

check out www.orderofmalta.ie for a unit close to you and best of luck.

Dave

The Order of Malta has got units in Portlaoise, Tullamore, and Birr in the laois/Offaly area.
    If you want to let me know what unit is closest to you i can PM you the Officer in Charges number for that unit.
    I am a member myself down in the so called sticks area and the guys in those units are dead on and good laugh to work with

• Advertisement

Jes thanks a million.......heard theres a few hotties in the portlaoise unit alright! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    I'm St.John Dublin but we don't have a Division down in the sticks.

check out www.omac.ie for a unit close to you and best of luck.

Dave
    www.orderofmalta.ie even :p
    Jes thanks a million.......heard theres a few hotties in the portlaoise unit alright! ;)

As good a reason as any I suppose

Hotties??? Never heard of anyone in the Order of Malta being described that way:D

If you send an e-mail to portlaoise@orderofmalta.ie or ring 057 8663882 that will get you in contact with the officer in charge of the Portlaoise unit he should be able to sort you out;)

Hotties in the Order Jaysus thats a new one must tell my OC :D

Hotties in the Order Jaysus thats a new one must tell my OC :D

That's because they're all in SJAB :p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

laois/offaly kind of area. I'd love to do fundraising stuff aswel......

Check out the following.

http://www.irishcivildefence.org
    http://www.laoiscivildefence.org

As it goes, Laois Civil Defence is probably the best county for Civil Defence in Ireland. Does Water Rescue, Fire Fighting, First Aid, Wilderness searches etc. Check it out, they have a fantastic set up.

And this is coming from a Dub!

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone traveled to Lourdes this year and how did it go???

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭patrickrushe

If ya happen to be from Cork, and want to join St. John Ambulance down here, look at:

St. John Ambulance, Cork City First Aid and Ambulance Unit, Ireland

The first thing you'll need to do is to attend a public first aid course:
    Public First Aid Course in Cork

As far as I know, members of St. John Dublin regularly go to Lourdes though I'm not sure is it through the organisation. I'll check and get back you ya.

If ya happen to be from Cork, and want to join St. John Ambulance down here, look at:

St. John Ambulance, Cork City First Aid and Ambulance Unit, Ireland

The first thing you'll need to do is to attend a public first aid course:
    Public First Aid Course in Cork

As far as I know, members of St. John Dublin regularly go to Lourdes though I'm not sure is it through the organisation. I'll check and get back you ya.

A small group of SJA Members traveled to Lourdes this year with OMAC.
    I understand a great time was had by all hearing from a fellow omac member.

• Advertisement

That's good to hear.

Goes to show that we can all get on together. :)

Advertisement