Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading excel 4.0 macro

Options
  • 04-02-2008 1:25pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

i have a client i do some web design work for who has a problem with an excel macro and asked me if i could help, unfortunately i dont know much about them - maybe someone could offer some advice?

he has a macro which was written for him in excel 4.0 which now doesnt seem to run properly with newer versions etc. He is looking for it to be updated so that it will work now. Any suggestions on how to do this, is there an upgrade that can applied or would the macro have to be re written from scratch?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When you say doesn't work properly do you mean it can be invoked but does not produce the expected result or it does not run. In newer versions of Excel macros have to be enabled. You can in Excel step into the macro and execute it an instruction at a time to see where exactly it is going wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

From what my client was saying i think basically it isnt working with the newer version of excel that they are using, i think it runs but does not produce the required result due to changes between the older version of excel and the new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Axwell wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

i have a client i do some web design work for who has a problem with an excel macro and asked me if i could help, unfortunately i dont know much about them - maybe someone could offer some advice?

he has a macro which was written for him in excel 4.0 which now doesnt seem to run properly with newer versions etc. He is looking for it to be updated so that it will work now. Any suggestions on how to do this, is there an upgrade that can applied or would the macro have to be re written from scratch?

Thanks

Excel 4.0 was released in 1992 and according to wikipedia didnt even have VBA. I've been around a long time but even i cant remember the precursor to VBA. What problem is he having with it exactly? Given how old it is it may need to be rewritten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Axwell wrote: »
    From what my client was saying i think basically it isnt working with the newer version of excel that they are using, i think it runs but does not produce the required result due to changes between the older version of excel and the new

I do a fair amount of Excel macro stuff for my many sins so PM me a copy of the macro and I'll take a look at it.

Advertisement