Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RF Signal Transmitter

Options
  • 04-02-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've searched these forums and found a few posts that may relate to this, but wasn't too sure, so apologies if this is another terrible question that you have all answered a million times before!

Basically what I'm wondering is if there is such thing as a RF signal transmitter. I already have one of those AV senders that basically sends out the picture. But what I'm really looking for is one that sends out the signal as opposed to the picture.

Are there are devices like this out there?

Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Hi Tom,

I presume from your post that you want to take the signal from your source equipment via the RF output like this (or the female equivalent)

plugRFm.jpg

If this is what you are trying to achieve it's not possible.

I suppose I would have to ask why you want to do this?

Let us know the full scenario of what you are trying to achieve and what equipment you have and we'll see what we can come up with.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

That's the general idea yes.

I've a number of reasons why I want to do this. Mainly the fact that I want to move the signals from the left handside of the room to the righthand side without dragging wires.

I've more complicated stuff going on that doesn't really need to be mentioned... it will only confuse the basic question! :)

OK, well my basic question is why not use a video sender and send the signal across the room that way?
    What are you taking the signal from? Does it have a scart output on the back?
    scart-buchsen.jpg
    or maybe a composite output and seperate auodio out left and right?
    768723426_16ac30124e.jpg
    Or you could use some small neat trunking on top of the skirting board?
    flooring_6.jpg

Well that would mean I would have to leave everything in the lhs corner. I want to move everything over to the opposite side.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

I would have just thought in this day and age, there would have been something out there that would allow you to do this... I've tried a hack like this in the past (http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-your-VCR-into-an-RF-or-A%2FV-Transmitter/) that didn;t work very well because of the strength of the signal. I guess I just thought there have to be a more professional option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

The problem in general with this type of thing is the loss of quality , senders can be good if you dont mind the considerable drop in quality , both from an audio and visual viewpoint its better to use wires.

The only way wireless wouldnt drop the quality would be for a digital signal , however most people looking for wireless solutions are looking for products that take the final analog out ( either surround feeds to speakers or video feeds ) and send it around room or the house , and there simply is no way to modulate/demodulate analog without a drop in quality.

That would be the number one reason why you dont see that many devices like this around.

• Advertisement

So do you know of a system that can do what I'm trying to do?

Maplins have a few , you could drop in and have a talk with them , try and get it on a returnable basis , most people I know who have tried any of these were less than happy with the results ,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/video%20sender.pdf

In most cases , these RF senders are used for low quality apps like security cameras , all you can do is try them and see.

Hi Mathias,

I've checked maplins and all the seem to have is the video senders, like that pdf link you sent. That's not what I'm looking for. Have one of these already.

I'm looking for something completly different.

Unfortunately tom, what you are looking for doesn't really exist.
    You have two choices..

1. use a video sender to send the signals across the room

OR

2. re run the cable along the skirting board or similar route.

We still don't know exactly what it is you are trying to do as you haven't told us what you are trying to achieve and what equipment you have?

Ah , I think I see , what you are looking for is a repeater so to speak , are you looking to take some kind of an antenna feed and re-transmit ?

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I'm trying to do yep! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Casey711

Is this what you are looking for?
    http://www.kramer-uk.com/indexes/item.asp?desc=78
    Casey

Dont think that device in the previous post is what the OP is looking for , that would be wired ,

The problem here ( in this country ) is that such a transmitter would be illegal , but they seem to be generally available in the states , though the power output is way beyond what is required in this case , just a signal across a room.

I dont know of any low power repeaters generally available here.

Advertisement