Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for an external HD

Options
  • 03-02-2008 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I wanted to get an external HD to back up my college data. I work on three different computers (all Windows 2000/XP) and rather than trying to email and/or use a 1GB memory stick to shuffle things about I wanted to get something with a decent capacity. I reckon 250GB should be more than ample so does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable brand? It's my PhD so I don't want to just buy a cheap HD or the first one recommended to me by a gormless shop assistant. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

John wrote: »
    Hey, I wanted to get an external HD to back up my college data. I work on three different computers (all Windows 2000/XP) and rather than trying to email and/or use a 1GB memory stick to shuffle things about I wanted to get something with a decent capacity. I reckon 250GB should be more than ample so does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable brand? It's my PhD so I don't want to just buy a cheap HD or the first one recommended to me by a gormless shop assistant. Thanks!

This should suit what you want, very good make and this one uses the USB as the power supply so its fairly compact if you wanted to bring it around with you from college to home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

If you want portable without needing to find a power source then I would recommend THIS

If needing power isn't an issue then THIS might be more ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cheers! I'll go for the USB-powered one just so I don't have another power supply to lug around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

John wrote: »
    Cheers! I'll go for the USB-powered one just so I don't have another power supply to lug around.

I would buy 2 hard drives incase one fails, those usb powered one's are very nice and handy but they are very fragile and a bit flaky imo...

I have had two of them fail on me, one fell out of my pocket and the other had a technical fault....

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/533546/art/freecom/mobile-drive-2-5-80-gb-us.html

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/555942/art/seagate/freeagent-desktop-externa.html

Advertisement