Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Wanted

Options
  • 02-02-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Around the end of the summer, going to be looking to pick up a decent shotgun for general purposes, game and clays. Just doing the research part of the project now. Prefer a side by side, personally, so those recommendations are especially valuable. A second hand gun in proper order is probably the best value I could get, and would be looking to spend about 1500 to 2000 blips on a really nice gun. What would I be looking at for that sort of money? All thoughts are greatly welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

2000 for a second hand gun? 1000 or less would get you a good shotgun brand new.

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_23&products_id=54

visit a few shops and get a feel for a few different types before you decide, find what feels right for you, looks can be decieving online or in catalogs etc.. and if possible try to have a go with different types of shotguns...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

For 2k you should be able to get an excellent S/S. A good German Merkel for example retailes secondhand at a quarter of that in Ireland. Fairly high end Spanish ( Basque )is an option if you really hit the right spot at the right time you might even find a Saive or another Liege built jewel for that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, it's a fair chunk of cash, but I'd be looking for something to keep forever, so I'd rather splash out once and get something pretty fantastic. I was wondering whether I might pick up a nice AyA, but there seems to be a rift between their lower price models, Matador and Yeoman, and their higher end, and I don't see much in the way of a middle ground. They seem beautiful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black velvit

If your spending that kind of cash Browning have the best selection for shotguns i have seen in a long time,
    I perticulary like the Cynergy with the composite stock, beautiful machin
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9935_13769_31_296

I do like that. Saw them a while ago, one of the nicer over/unders about. However I am looking more for a side by side, and I'm a sucker for traditional looks as well. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

i think you would like a good second hand aya sidelock-which would
    probably be easier found in the uk.

Yeah, that's the type of thing I'd be looking at alright. Any models I should bear in mind that represent particularly good value?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If your spending that kind of cash Browning have the best selection for shotguns i have seen in a long time,
    I perticulary like the Cynergy with the composite stock, beautiful machin
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9935_13769_31_296
    This is the gun I want, but not sure if I can justify the cost.
    aNy ideas how much you'd would pay here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

an aya no 2 sidelock is 5500 euro new........icon12.gif go on treat yourself early
    for xmas.......

Yeah, I was thinking of something less extravagant alright. :p Secondhand up to about two grand I'd accept, though less would obviously be nice.

• Advertisement

Cynergy
    30" Spr Adj composite Stock, Diamond Chokes, Beautiful piece, around 2500-2700

Mellor wrote: »
    This is the gun I want, but not sure if I can justify the cost.
    aNy ideas how much you'd would pay here

Cynergy
    30" Spr Adj composite Stock, Diamond Chokes, Beautiful piece, around 2500-2700

Is there a cheaper model, 28", reg stock, fixed/reg choke.
    One that might be closer to 1k used. There was an older cynergy model I really liked, not sure the exact model type, best way to describe it was that grip in the stock was rounded at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Mellor,

Don't get a cynergy just coz it looks good - go to a range and try it - make sure it fits. A good few ranges have gun shops so you can try before you buy.

If it doesn't come up to your shoulder right it won't matter how much you paid for it.

B'Man

I'm not basing that only on looks, actually none of it is on looks really.
    I like the cynergy range, think they are very good guns, have only heard good reports. And out of the one I have seen, the one with the rounded grip appealed most. But I was already decided on cynergy at this stage. similarly the ulralight, but as its it build different to silver pigeon that i've used I would have to try that one out. But as I perfere the reg Silver pigeon to the heavier silver pigeon - s, I think it would suit me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

As long as you're not doing a lot of clayshooting I'd say the lighter option would be good, otherwise your shoulder is in for a pasting.

Well thats it, im going to be doing mostly rough shooting, most shots i'll fire will be when live pigeon shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 T-Spark

Its possible to pick up a used cynergy for good money, you prob looking to pay €1700ish for one thats only 6 months old. They dont appear to be holding their value very well at the moment. But for that money you could buy a new Browning B525 or the ultimate rough shooting gun, the Berreta UltraLite for similar money.

www.guntrader.co.uk is a very good site. Alot of the english dealers are now using it.

Has anyone used or seen Silma guns,
    A friend siad he heard they do a similar version to the ultralight, i checked the website and it has similat specs to the ultra light.
    Any opinions?

Advertisement