Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple question re: nightsaver fusebox

Options
  • 02-02-2008 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've searched completely and almost all of my questions have been answered, just have one small one. Lads, feel free to move this to DIY if you think it's more appropriate.

Just bought a duplex, has the modern apartment setup with storage heaters, one storage/convection heater and a couple of convection heaters in the bedrooms. I've got the gist of how these work, except for one small thing in the fusebox.

There are obviously the two knobs for night and day, except the day one has an additional setting - constant. Is it a matter that one circuit is connected to the day switch - that is the convection heaters, and then just the storage heaters are connected to the night knob? So if I change the day knob from constant to the "normal" position, the convection heaters will not turn on when night rates kick in, but the storage heaters will?

Probably a ridiculously simple question, but I just wanted to get it straight in my head. :)
    Also, are the nightsaver times in line with daylight savings, so nightsavers times are currently 11pm - 8am? If so, should I set the night knob back to -1?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm not overly familiar with domestic stuff, so I'm not sure what you mean by "knobs", be they day or night. It sounds like some kind of timeswitch perhaps? Can you post a pic of it?

Anyway, you're right about the night rate times. 24 to 9 in the summer, and 23 to 8 in the winter.

I'd imagine that no resetting is needed at your end, the ESB timeswitch will take care of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

seamus wrote: »
    So if I change the day knob from constant to the "normal" position, the convection heaters will not turn on when night rates kick in, but the storage heaters will?

Probably a ridiculously simple question, but I just wanted to get it straight in my head. :)
    Also, are the nightsaver times in line with daylight savings, so nightsavers times are currently 11pm - 8am? If so, should I set the night knob back to -1?

Cheers :)
    The convection heater should work regardless of the time. By "normal" do you mean "timed" or "timer". If there is a clock on the unit, put the heater to "normal" and adjust the setting on the timer and it should work. You just need to get the hang of it.

You shouldn't have any control over the storage heating end of things other than an on/off switch. The ESB control all aspects of the nightsaver rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers guys, it seems to work as I thought it does. The convection heaters are connected to the "Day" control. When this is on "const", that circuit is available all of the time. When it's on timed (Thanks skelly),the convection heaters only work while the day meter is ticking. I can't remember now if there's a clock for the controls, but the night circuit seems to work as it should, the storage heaters are kicking in at 11pm, so I'm going to leave well alone for the mo :)

Advertisement