Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted: Under and Over - New or used

• 02-02-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for an U/O. Not too picking on manufacturer. I was thinking that a semi might be better for rough shooting, but I think i'm going to go for a U/O.

I seen the baikel deal on duffys, but i heard mixed reviews on them. But that is about the price range i'd be looking at.
    Anybody have any suggestion for a decent gun in that price range. Used Beretta/browning. I've heard fabarm are good italien guns

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 T-Spark

Hey Mellor, already posted a reply to you in a similar thread.

www.guntrader.co.uk is a handy site just to suss out different models.

Bettinsoli make very nice guns in the €800 range that can be found I would imagine in most good dealers.

www.clay-shooting.com/guntests has numerous reviews including a couple on bettinsoli weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

thanks for the links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

Hi Mellor,
    I have a Lanber O/U Game gun (1/4 - 3/4 fixed chokes, non-ejector, single trigger) which I'm considering selling.
    Reason for sale is I'd prefer a s/s and have the chance of getting one soon.
    Let me know if you want more details.

I've seen alot of Lanbers and baikal second hand. I'd be looking at spending a little more, and getting a second hand gun for about the same as a new lanber/baikal

Has anyone seen many (or any) second hand berettas around? I seen one on monday, but it was gone when I returned yesterday. Few years old in good nick though, €800, shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

IMO you're probably better of biting the bullet and buying a new one if you're going down the Beretta road Mellor. If you're going to find one in nearly pristine condition the price difference with new is only going to be worth a couple of boxes of cartridges. A good source might be a word with the local sarge if you kinda know him. He knows about gun owners passing away and others not renewing. If you don't mind he could let them or the family know there's someone with an interest.

I'm meeting the FAO on sunday, but don't think i could ask him to source one ;)
    Yeah, I've seen a few with little reduced after a few months use. But the one for €800 was the first I seen so it sort of set my bench mark. It wasn't an older model with little wear so the price was pretty good.
    I've been told silma or fabarm are well built alternitives, are opinions?

A friend of my father's over in Belgium who coincidentially happens to be a firearms dealer swears by the Fabarm Eurolion semi as one of the best semi's available. If their O/U are of a similar quality it could be a good idea. By the way : his main brands in the shop would be Browning, Beretta and Arietta.

i'm leaning towards that if i can't get a good cheap beretta
    I sen on guntrader that there are some black onyx and silimar beretta for sub €750ish prices, how much would importing add to the cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Had a fabarm U/O few years back lovely gun but kicks like a mule. Friend of mine recently started shooting bought himself a lovely yildiz (New) for €600 in a gun shop in Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

I have a silma 12 gauge over and under, i can't fault it a bit, and it's an excellent fit for me (6'4''). I've used my dad's Browning Citori, and if im 100% honest, i would have the silma everyday over it....

Which model is it?
    I was reccomend the version that matches the beretta ultra light. Same light-weight alloy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Hi Mellor,
    i think its the M70 N-EJ if that makes sense.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mocha

http://www.irishguntrader.ie is a free classified site for guns, but there isn't much on it yet

Hopefully that gets up and running

Are you referring to duty and stuff Mellor ? Once you import from inside the EU it will come down to the price of a flight with Aer Lingus. There's no extra duty on secondhand goods bought in the EU and customs at the airport are going to be none the wiser when you bring in the gun. The only worry you have is sorting paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Hi, mellor , I have a zabala o/u multi choke with only250 shots through it . Its like brand new. s/t , m/c and ejr . redundant now so have to clear out a couple of guns.

Thanks for the offer but I picked up a gun last week. Bought a winchestor O/U, i tried it out and was set, fit perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

QUOTE=Mocha;55187024]http://www.irishguntrader.ie is a free classified site for guns, but there isn't much on it yet[/QUOTE]

Good site but not enough contact options if you dont wanna give a phone number, not even E-mail:confused:
    Easy to post ad in wrong section too as it dosnt give you a category option first

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

Mellor, where did you get it in the end? Am looking for a 32" s/h browning, beretta, miroku or winchester

• Advertisement

In courtlough, I like the idea of being able to try the gun first. The Win was the best firing for me.
    From memory they had two s/h brownings, one was a clitori not sure on the other, both were under €1000. But both were 28" barrells, I wanted a field gun so didn't look at any 32" guns.
    Berettas will be closer to the new price.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Mellor wrote: »
    From memory they had two s/h brownings, one was a clitori

:eek: How did you find it? ;)

A little awkward, was bashing away at it but the response time was a little slower than i'm used to ;)

Actually, I didn't like the rib on it, the end section was angled found it threw my eye off.

When I first put up a gun to my sholder, I was told to make sure I can see the bead, but not the top of the rib, can't see the bead and the gun is down, see the top of the rib and the gun is up.
    But with the citori, when mounted correct, the top side of the end section of rib is visable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

wicklah wrote: »
    Mellor, where did you get it in the end? Am looking for a 32" s/h browning, beretta, miroku or winchester

The last time I was in Courtlough they had a 32" Browning 525 it was like new but at €1500 was less then €300 off the new price of this gun.

Yeah, am thinking at this stage that I'll just keep saving and get a new one for under 2k.

Yeah, am thinking at this stage that I'll just keep saving and get a new one for under 2k.

If you are looking for a new one The gunshop in wexford were selling the new 525 for €1685 don't know if that was just for the 30".

But Cresent Sport in Monkstown have them for €1790.

Thanks IDon'tKnow, I will keep them in mind, certainly closer than Wexford but do you know if they have a range to try them out? Wouldn't think so considering it is Monkstown.

Am liking the look of the Beretta 682 Gold E too, which means I'll definitely have to keep saving!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Thanks IDon'tKnow, I will keep them in mind, certainly closer than Wexford but do you know if they have a range to try them out? Wouldn't think so considering it is Monkstown.

Am liking the look of the Beretta 682 Gold E too, which means I'll definitely have to keep saving!!

Ive a second hand 686 silver pigeon s if your interested at the right money.

Hi Foxhunter,

Just read the charter and it appears we are not to go PM on this, so can you tell me the following:

a) what was it used for (field hunting or for sport)
    b) what condition is it in
    c) how old is it
    d) what weight is it
    e) is it 32"
    f) and most importantly ;) how much are you looking for

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Foxhunter,

Just read the charter and it appears we are not to go PM on this, so can you tell me the following:

a) what was it used for (field hunting or for sport)
    b) what condition is it in
    c) how old is it
    d) what weight is it
    e) is it 32"
    f) and most importantly ;) how much are you looking for

Thanks

a)field and clays
    b)95% tiny mark on rib hardly noticable
    c)1year old
    d)havn't a clue:o
    e)no its 28"
    f)€1450 or very near offer

Hope these answers are to your satisfaction.

foxhunter wrote: »
    a)field and clays
    b)95% tiny mark on rib hardly noticable
    c)1year old
    d)havn't a clue:o
    e)no its 28"
    f)€1450 or very near offer

Hope these answers are to your satisfaction.

Hey foxhunter,

Thanks for replying, but I am definitely after a 32".

Cheers

Hey foxhunter,

Thanks for replying, but I am definitely after a 32".

Cheers

No bother at all

Regarding weight, the S is one of the heavy ones, a pound or two heavier than the regular SP.

No they don't have a range in Monkstown, so you would be buying on fit only.

But they did have 682 Gold E second hand when I was in with them it was €1890 asking price was a 30" gun. Was close to buy that gun myself but went with a new Winchester from Courtlough in the end!

Got to try it like the fit and hit very well (for me) with it. With a bit of setup would hope to get much better with it.

If you have the time and money you will find a nice gun if you talk to a few dealers and if your at a range and get talking to the shooters there is always someone looking to trade up who might have a top gun at a good price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement