Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A clock work orange beethoven piece...

Options
  • 02-02-2008 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know the name of the piece of music in A clock work orange by Beethoven that is sang in German. The opening lines are sang by a man before the rest of the choir joins in. Main reason I'm asking is because I want to know the words to the piece. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You can listen to clips of some of the music from the soundtrack here. They are composed by Walter Carlos I think. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

nummnutts wrote: »
    Does anybody know the name of the piece of music in A clock work orange by Beethoven that is sang in German. The opening lines are sang by a man before the rest of the choir joins in. Main reason I'm asking is because I want to know the words to the piece. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Thats Beethoven's 9th & last symphony The Choral symphony also known as 'ode to joy'. This link includes the german lyrics and an english translation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._9_(Beethoven)

The 4th movement is the one your referring to - thats also the european anthem and has been in a million hollywood movies (including die hard). This is probably footage of the version that inspired kubrick into including it in that context

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBT7W7uJ3ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Thanks very much chaps. One of my favourite pieces of music. Was given to me ages ago on a cd with no name. Thanks for the help.

nummnutts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its an amazing soundtrack, a piece of electronic music history. The whole thing was produced on a monophonic synthesiser (i.e. no chords!) so everything had to be overdubbed dozens of times to produce the layers of sound.

I know your question's been answered but just thought I'd throw that in there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Beethoven's 9th is truly mind blowing, and literally sends shivers through me every time. I have to say though, the March from a Clockwork Orange, Walter Carlos' take on the 4th movement, is exceptionally great also. It really is remarkable, as cornbb points out. What strikes me about the particular section on the soundtrack is that in its own way it has just as much power and energy as the original, even though the emotion and power of the "human" voices are absent.

The entire soundtrack to this Kubrick masterpiece is awesome, and well worth checking out. A truly amazing electronic masterpiece. Kubrick's choice of pieces for his soundtracks have always been exceptional. The soundtrack for Barry Lyndon is another masterpiece, including works from Bach, Vivaldi, Handel and Schubert, as well as many tradional Irish and English songs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement