Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying documents and settings permissions

Options
  • 02-02-2008 12:53am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My laptop won't turn on so I need to copy documents and settings to my external hdd. I have connected my hard drive to another computer using a USB adapter to recover my documents. Although I could copy the Shared Documents under Documents and Settings, Windows will not allow me to copy protected users' document files under Documents. Is there a work around for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You should be able to take ownership of the Docs folder from the security tab of the folder properties dialog

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

How?:)

He told you in his first post....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He edited it.

Also, I couldn't do it that way but thanks. Can't go into safe mode on the machine I was on. I used linux to get it in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement