Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Relief

Options
  • 01-02-2008 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know was motgage relief reduced for 2008 as my payments have gone up even though there is no rate change.:eek:

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hi,

Does anyone know was motgage relief reduced for 2008 as my payments have gone up even though there is no rate change.:eek:

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks in advance
    It was increased. How long have you owned your house? After seven years the amount you can claim is reduced.
    some banks have also increased rates despite their being no ECB rate change

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

jdivision wrote: »
    It was increased. How long have you owned your house? After seven years the amount you can claim is reduced.
    some banks have also increased rates despite their being no ECB rate change

was the increase limited to new business?...it was very small in some case 0.1% in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dakota2

My mortgage tax relief has also dropped by 3 euro a month. i know it is only a small amount but i want to know why my trs has been reduced. i have only had the mortagage 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Sounds like it's either the effects of the first 7 years being finished, or that the proportion of interest:principal in your repayments has reduced. The relief is on mortgage interest. Not mortgage payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

OP, have a look here http://www.mortgages.ie/tax_relief_calc.cfm

I put in 400,000 over 25 years, 2 buyers, First time buyer into the calculator

You can see just how much off your mortgage is being offset by interest. Unless your mortgage is huge, some time in the 7 years (when the higher amount of relief applies) you will find that the interest portion of what you are paying each month is less than the interest relief. At this point the amount deducted starts to reduce and the portion you pay starts to increase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement