Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions about moving to ireland

Options
  • 01-02-2008 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

I have a few questions to ask about moving over to ireland form scotland

1. I am a single parent with 4 children what help is available for us?

2. Does anyone know how long it takes to get children into school there also nurseries?

3. Is there any special rules for wanting to leave the uk and start to live in Ireland?

4. Has anyone got advice about private rented accommodation i.e how to go about getting a house and also how long any sort of financial help would take to come through ?

5. Is there any schemes for single parents wanting to get back to work if so how do you go about it ?

6. Is there any benefits that a single mum of 4 can apply for while actualy working as means tested ?

I thank anyone who can give any genuine advice it is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

My advice, think twice...

There is much less support for single parents here than in the UK, particularly when it comes to back to work initiatives, social welfare for single parents in Ireland = poverty trap.

I am a single parent with 4 children what help is available for us?
    Single parents get one parent family payment, it is complicated, look up www.citizensinformation.ie. Many non irish citizens are not entitled unless they have been resident here a considerable time.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get children into school there also nurseries?Depends on the school, many are over subscribed with waiting lists of 2+ years, others, particularly rural schools are fine as long as you live in the catchment area. Forget nurseries, the childcare system here is VASTLY different to the UK. There are creches and playschools, both very expensive.

Ireland is VERY expensive in terms of rent and childcare, we don't have a tax credit system like the UK for low-income/single parent families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

SarahMc wrote: »
    My advice, think twice...

+1 on that

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Op I think you would be mad! System in GB is alot better!

you could also check www.welfare.ie for info on social welfare.

Advertisement