Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retainer question

Options
  • 01-02-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I had braces when I was about 13 till I was 16 I wore my retainer for about 3 months then I stopped wearing it but I suffered a relapse on my all of my lower incisors and my upper right lateral incisor. So over a year later I went back to get braces but I only got them only on my upper teeth because my lower teeth even though they did relapse they weren’t that bad. So had them on for a few months and got them off and got a retainer wore it 24/7 for about a month then I stopped to just wearing them at night.

Now 2 years later I still wear my retainer. If I don’t wear my retainer for about a week it’s tight getting it back on and if I don’t wear it for about a month it takes about 5mins to get on. Like my teeth are still straight but it’s just my upper lateral incisor that keeps on moving.

Do I have to keep on wearing my retainer for the rest of my life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gymguy

I had an appointment with an orthodontist last week. He told me that you have to wear retainer initially every night after your braces are removed and then 1-2 nights a week for the rest of your life. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Gymguy wrote: »
    I had an appointment with an orthodontist last week. He told me that you have to wear retainer initially every night after your braces are removed and then 1-2 nights a week for the rest of your life. Sorry!

Noone told me that!!!:mad::mad: I hate(d) wearing my retainer, can't sleep with it on. Had braces for about 5 years, wore retainer 24/7 for 9 months, every night for two years, and every weekend for another 2. Stopped putting it in about a month ago and now it seems my teeth are going.

Don't know what to do... I can't bare the thought of going back and getting braces again, absolutley gutted there's not a permanent simple way of doing this. I don't know if it's my orthodontist, but friends of mine were through the whole process in less than two years, and finished with retainers, here's me 10 years on and still having to wear the bloody thing.

I've got an appointment booked anyway for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

johnnyflav wrote: »
    Noone told me that!!!:mad::mad: I hate(d) wearing my retainer, can't sleep with it on. Had braces for about 5 years, wore retainer 24/7 for 9 months, every night for two years, and every weekend for another 2. Stopped putting it in about a month ago and now it seems my teeth are going.

Don't know what to do... I can't bare the thought of going back and getting braces again, absolutley gutted there's not a permanent simple way of doing this. I don't know if it's my orthodontist, but friends of mine were through the whole process in less than two years, and finished with retainers, here's me 10 years on and still having to wear the bloody thing.

I've got an appointment booked anyway for next week.

In the same boat. Had mine for THREE AND A HALF YEARS (15-18). Wore retainer religiously 24/7 for the year after as directed (18-19). Did wear it for the nights initially but tailed off and the thought of trying to get it back in and the ensuing pain depending on how long i hadn't worn it in were off putting! Now my teeth are seriously regressing and I don't know what to do. Going to try put the retainer in again tomorrow....but I fear it doesn't fit at all on my top teeth anymore. Also all my wisdom teeth have come up now and need to be removed I was told last year. Should I Return to orthodontist (really scared of the scolding)? Is there any chance I can avoid train tracks again?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Can I be so cheeky as to bump this post? Anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

WTF!??! Wear the retainer for the rest of our lives? This is the first time I've heard that! Had braces for about 2 years, then had the retainer for about 7 months, then my dentist told me to just wear it at night. I got lazy and never wore it again, tried to put it back in a few months ago but it was far too painful so I never bothered! Sure, my teeth have relapsed a bit but that's expected isn't it? My dentist has never got back to me, usually I'd have an appointment every 6 weeks,so I thought my treatment was finished. I thought it only had to be worn only for a year anyway?

• Advertisement
Advertisement