Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with new Samsung surround system! :(

Options
  • 01-02-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Hi All. I could use some help in setting up my Home Theater System. I recently bought a Samsung XT-X40 Home Theater System. I have it hooked up via HDMI to a Samsung plasmaTelevision. I also have a digital cable box hooked up to the same television using component/scart aswell as an xbox 360 using RGB components. The problem I am having is when I play a DVD in the HT-X40, all the speakers work perfectly, but when I am just watching TV or playing xbox, the sound only comes through the TV, not the Home Theater System. I have tried a few different things but for the life of me I cannot get the sound to work when the cable or xbox is on. Anyone know how I can get it to play through the Home Theater speakers all the time using my existing cable setup? I have tried connecting the surround sound up using just a scart but that didnt work either, I know I can hook up an additional component set set or a fibre optic cable but my tv doesnt have a fibre optic out. And im not too keen about using more cables as I should be able to use the ones that are currently connected. On my last system and on my parents they can play the sound just using the HDMI cable I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

You have surround sound from DVD in the X40 as its feeding all the 5.1 channels from the X40 direct.
    How would you expect to get sound from 360 to X40 without any physical cable connecting them?
    Unless your Samsung X40 has digital input (optical in or coaxial) you will not get proper 5.1 sound for the 360. The 360 AV connector has optical output on it.
    If you don't have digital input, you can get stereo in the X40 with rca cables (2 channels only)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

If the cable box and the xbox are to give you surround then they will both have to be connected to the surround system via optical /coaxial as well.

That system has 1 co axial input and one optical input , I dont know if they are separate inputs , or if its a case of just using one or the other , you'll have to check the manual for that , if you can only use one of them at a time then you'll need a switch , something like this ,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934&doy=1m2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm not sure about that exact unit, but I know with similar ones you need to leave the scart cable aswell and set your TV to output sound over the scart connection it's connected to. This means any sound on the TV will be output over the surround speakers, including the xbox, but it will be stereo sound that gets upmixed by your surround system (you may need to change modes on your surround system to get the best effects you like). If you want true surround from the xbox you will need to use and optical cable from that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭allybhoy

ongarite wrote: »
    How would you expect to get sound from 360 to X40 without any physical cable connecting them?

Well the 360 is connected to the telly (component), and so is the x40.(HDMi)
    On my last system all i did was turn the telly on, then whack the surround sound (LG) onto TV mode and hey presto it worked. However on the new system I have only have Aux1 and Aux2 modes??

And im not worried about playing it using 5.1, i just want to have sound coming from the digital cable box through the surround sound even if it is only stereo. I know I can also use an optical cable for my xbox but I thought I would have been able to do it the way its set up at th moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you have Samsung connected to TV using HDMI, you "should" be able to get stereo sound to the surround sound speakers.
    You would either have to connect the red/white connectors from 360 component set into the back of the Samsung set or use digital optical cable.
    Component to TV-HDMI to Samsung isn't going to give you any sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I know I should but i cant :(
    I have red/white connectors from xbox 360 component lead connected to my tv

Advertisement